Challenging case managers — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Challenging case managers

GGEMS1972
GGEMS1972 Community member Posts: 12 Connected
Hi new to here, I had to update pip due to change in conditions. I got a call out the blue from a case manager few weeks ago which was very distressing for me as I suffer from extreme anxiety. I answered all his questions I got letter saying no changes to award just the length of time to award increased but they owe me money, however this isn't possible if no increase has been made. So I called them and I've been told I was awarded enhanced mobility by 2 different case managers and that the original case manager needed to change it on the system. So yesterday the original case manager called and was very rude and abrupt on the call saying he didn't award enhanced mobility at all, he said he needed to speak with his supervisor and would call me back between 1 qnd 3 this didn't happen, how do I complain about this whole situation when 2 other case managers clearly stated I was awarded it. I have asked for a mandatory reconsideration but I just feel as though I've been given the run around from this case manager from day one and now he is covering up his mistakes. How do I complain about the was this has been dealt with. My nerves are shot to pieces can't eat sleep and I'm barely functioning with thw stress never mind daily pain ?

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there and welcome to the community 

Sorry about all the stress this is causing you 

I'm not sure how you make a complaint is there any information in your letter 

You might find something on the Internet about dwp complaint process 

If not I'm sure others will be able to help 
  • GGEMS1972
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm not really sure how three decision makers were involved in the same claim ?

2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @GGEMS1972

Sorry to hear of what you've been through, it sounds very inconvenient and it appears as though you just want some answers at this point.

Do you receive any support to manage your mental health? As you described this has impacted your well-being, which I'm sorry to hear, and I hope you have help in place from a GP or other health professional to manage your anxiety amongst other things.

To make a complaint about the DWP, you can follow this link for details.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • cat_hug
    cat_hug Community member Posts: 161 Pioneering
    @GGEMS1972 Hi. I'm really sorry you're going through this and I can seriously relate having had simular problem with my case and case manager.

I actually wrote a complaint back in July 2019 after submitting my MR in March that year and still hearing nothing.

I'd asked for an address specifically to deal with complaints about my case.

Like yourself, I'd been told different information by another pip advisor just the day before, telling me that the extra info they'd been waiting for from the HCP had literally just arrived that day.

This guy was really pleasant and patient and told me the exact time the email had arrived and that it looked favourable  for me. He advised me to call back the following morning at 8.00 when I'd be able to get a case manager.

The women I got the following morning was very rude and denied any such email saying he shouldn't have told me that and I must be patient.

When you've waited from March until July for a decision of a MR telling someone to be patient was the last straw.

Like your situation, I was asked to hold off complaining and promised someone would get to me. With In 24 hours.

2 days later, still no phone call.

So I wrote a letter of complaint after the woman reluctantly informed me to just send it to the pip handling address.

I never received acknowledgement of my complaint, however, within a week, I got a decision rejecting my appeal for pip daily living and despite getting awarded enhanced Mobility for an "ongoing period this was suddenly changed to a fixed period of 2 years' 

I cannot prove this was done as a punitive or vindictive measure, but it certainly felt that way.

Curiously enough, I was on the phone with pip just yesterday and brought up the issues about my MR and how my complaint was never acknowledged.

Having been transferred during that call to someone from the MR section, I couldn't say for sure, but I do wonder if it may have been the woman I'd spoken with back in July 2019.

She told me a remarkably similar story, that the guy who said the email had come in the previous day and it looked like a decision was imminent in my favour, she told me he should not have said that and said there was nothing on my files about such an email from The HCP. (The reason I kept being told was the cause of the delay in getting a decision)

She asked was my complaint ever dealt with. I told her no. Just that my award was reduced from an ongoing period to the 2 year fixed period after id complained.

I suspect it might well have been the same woman as she told me that pip doesn't have lifetime awards only fixed periods.

When I questioned why then, had advocates and disability advisors told me that an award for an 'ongoing period was a good thing and equivalent to the best duration you could get under pip.

She told me it meant nothing that Pip can call you for a review at any point.

I mentioned I had an audio copy of the conversation from the guy of the conversation back in July 2019 which I'd got through data subject request.

I reiterated that I'd still like to know why my complaint was never acknowledged at the time and is there a specific address or department you need to write to?

She told me she's working from home and doesn't have that information to hand.

And asked if I'd mind if she called a colleague to ask then phone me back.

I said yes and thanked her and asked for her name ( I find it helpful for my own records to get a name and keep a record of time and date and to whom I've spoken)

She gave me a first name only which is fine. She phoned me back (which was a pleasant suprise) and said to just write to : PIP. 9
    MAIL HANDLING SITE B
    WOLVERHAMPTON
    WV99 1AG

But to mark the letter as Complaint and put my NI number on.

I recall definitely marking my letter as to addressed to COMPLAINTS at the time. I always put my NI number and any case ref number on any written correspondence as a matter of course.

I can't say for sure that this information is correct, but it is the info I've been given, as recently as yesterday.

I hope this helps. I would also advise to make a copy of your complaint and file it. Also if poss to send your letter track and trace to be signed for.

That way there's no way they can do the whole plausible deniability thing because you will have proof.

I did actually tell this woman I spoke with yesterday that I am looking at taking my case to Judicial Review and did I need to inform them?

She said she would make a note of that on my file.
    I hope some of this may be helpful to you.

I understand and empathise completely how much anxiety and stress these situations cause. I really hope you get a good outcome.

I'd strongly advise you get a decent advocate to help with your case. I learned the hard way that not all advocates are equal and having a bad one or one who isn't present, is actually more damaging to your case than having none at all. But that's just my opinion and experience. Don't give up. Keep fighting. Even if you get rejected at MR, your chances of winning at tribunal are much higher. Around 74% win at appeal compared to less than 20% have an MR decision turn in their favour.

Best of luck and apologies for long message

Cat xx
  • GGEMS1972
    woodbine said:
    I'm not really sure how three decision makers were involved in the same claim ?

• GGEMS1972
    I called pip when I received award letter the call handler was only able to see some information so had to pass me through to a case manager on 2 separate calls hence their being 3 case managers involved during this 
  • GGEMS1972
    At the moment you have nothing in writing so what is it you think you're doing an MR against if there's been no decision issued? I would wait and see what is issued before doing an MR or a complaint. Neither may be applicable. 

• GGEMS1972
    A decision was posted out which is being disputed as on the award letter it states no change to award yet also states they will pay money they owe me which is impossible as I'm already on pip so they wouldn't owe me any money if the award wasn't increased and the advisor said I was awarded enhanced mobility for short period then was changed which I am disputing because the case manager clearly has messed this whole thing up 
  • GGEMS1972
    I am not sure how to reply to individual people's comments sorry thank you for your replies and for the links 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    GGEMS1972 said:
    I am not sure how to reply to individual people's comments sorry thank you for your replies and for the links 
    just click on "quote"
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• GGEMS1972
    woodbine said:
    GGEMS1972 said:
    just click on "quote"
    woodbine said:
    GGEMS1972 said:
    just click on "quote"

• GGEMS1972

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.