Pip rejection at MR. Should I submit a new claim? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip rejection at MR. Should I submit a new claim?

juliejfk
juliejfk Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited January 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello everyone. I am new to scope and pip.
I have been rejected at mandatory reconsideration for a pop claim.
I have moved back to my parents home . Living alone I was not functioning at all.  Not eating sleeping washing or engaging with anyone.

I am bipolar ,diagnosed 13 years ago and have never asked for pip. I have managed it myself through exercise, medication and trying o to  be aware of my illness.
Not all plain sailing and i have spent several spells in mental health wards and am now marked as a vulnerable person on the Police database.

I returned to my parents home in January 2021 due to suicidal thoughts.
I broke my spine in a sea accident last summer and have slipped into a depression.
My parents are really my carers now. Helping and encourage me do live a daily routine.
Should this be considered in mandatory reconsideration?
It wasn't even mentioned in either assessment.

My parents are in their 80s.
Accompany me everywhere and support me through panic attacks and social anxiety. I reallying only go to hospital for back examinations/scans.

I submitted additional information about my back. Slight paralysis in my left leg  this was ignored aswell.
I am now able to walk only short distances and cannot stand  for more than a couple of minutes.

I feel so insulted that I am not worthy of help.

I am not working functioning . If. I was not staying with parents I would probably be back in a psychiatric ward.

Has anyone any experience of family becoming your carer.
Thanks julie

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @juliejfk - I don't have your experience, but wanted to welcome you to this online community, Julie. Sadly only a small percentage of Mandatory Reconsiderations result in a positive change. Please don't let this make you feel you are unworthy of help. On a positive note, the current success of PIP phone tribunals is around the 75% mark.
    Depending on when you had your assessment, any worsening of your condition would not be taken into account. So, if you should decide to go for a tribunal, you still have to concentrate on how you were at the time of your assessment. Please let us know what you decide to do, & do post here any time, as our members are very supportive. :)
  • juliejfk
    If worsening of my condition is not considered at mandatory reconsideration or a tribunal.... do i have to submit a new claim? Or should I continue with an appeal.
    I applied in November 2020.
    Did not complete a form as i was so unwell.
    I moved to parents in January 
    I asked for  a phone assessment in March 2021
    6 for daily living
    0 for mobility

My  physical situation has considerably worsened since this assessment.
    My mental health has improved however only because my mother is helping me function on a daily basis and doing 

If tribunal will only decide on the March assessment is it worth pursuing.
    Deflated 
    Julie
  • Popdiva43
    Popdiva43 Community member Posts: 170 Pioneering
    Morning juliejfk.When I had my tribunal yesterday they say its only from the assessment stage but I send them medical evidence up till the 31st of march and I had my assessment back in November, but didn't send no medical evidence in till I knew I was going to have to go to tribunal, and they could see that my condition had progressed in them couple of months, and they took that in to consideration, so I would say it's worth a try. 
  • Popdiva43
    Popdiva43 Community member Posts: 170 Pioneering
    Also youve come this far don't give up hope, you can do it xx
  • pandorasbox
    pandorasbox Community member Posts: 8 Listener

don’t be put of taking this further. You are deserving as many others are and you have to be this person that is hard every single day!

I told them I was going to appeal for my son who was 15 at the time, they rang me and asked if I’d take an offer, I had to reply there and then and if I accepted, could no longer appeal. 
    I accepted the offer as I thought it was better than getting nothing for him and it was a little bit more so heyho girl… u stay strong and go for what you’re entitled to!!!!!

hugs
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    I'm confused about your timeline. Were you back living with your parents when you applied for PIP or had your initial assessment @juliejfk
    Have you looked at the descriptors to see which points you feel you should have received and focussed your MR on?
  • affii1993
    affii1993 Community member Posts: 103 Courageous
    Pls apply for tribunal 
  • juliejfk
    Thanks for all replies and advise.
    I will seek some assistance with my appeal wording etc.
    Kind regards .
    Jfk
  • juliejfk
    Well hello.
    I'm still here on the appeal trail for my pip claim.
    The DWP have now called and offered me the basic daily living component of pip.
    Is this normal practice and will it end my claim ?
    I said I would think about it.

I am completely immobile at the minute but that part of the claim is not being considered as I was not affected at the time of my initial claim.
    I've tried to call them to clarify but gave up twice due to phone que.
    My mother 82, and really my carer now does not want to take part in the appeal hearing... understandably....who does.

Undecided where to go from here?
    JFK
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    juliejfk said:
    Well hello.
    I'm still here on the appeal trail for my pip claim.
    The DWP have now called and offered me the basic daily living component of pip.
    Is this normal practice and will it end my claim ?
    It will not end the claim because you'll have an award of standard Daily Living. If you meant, if you 'accept', will it end your existing appeal then the answer is yes. However you can start a new appeal against the new decision.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • juliejfk
    Thank you for your time

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.