PIP rejected, MR time? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP rejected, MR time?

bluedobs
bluedobs Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited July 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi, I have been a long time lurker of this forum but just joined now. FYI, a rant is coming up, so just a pre-apology here now haha.

So a little background about me, I am 27f and I have rheumatoid arthritis for around 10 years now. I have been on and off medication (purely cause the doctors don't believe they are working) and I am in and out of hospitals/healthcare centres. 

So I got my letter to say I have been rejected from PIP today. The process has been fairly smooth and quick, applied in April, had a few responses in May and June and had my phone assessment in July. Now I am not butthurt about the PIP rejection overall, more so on the comments made. I know I'm not suppose to take these to heart but it does get to you. My assessor pretty much deemed me fine, saying I was capable of this and that. And yes, I am sometimes capable of doing things unaided and no assistance required, I mean on my good days I sometimes forget I have my chronic illness! But I would say atleast 2 to 3 weeks out a month, I have a flare up (worse during the winter periods) which takes a minimum of 4-5 days to recover and even then I still don't feel 100%. But my assessor made it out that I never really have flare ups and that's the part that upsets me. I would never wish that pain on anyone as it can affect you not only physically, but mentally and emotionally too. I believe these phone assessments can be hard to convey sometimes, it just sucks thats all. I have had a face to face assessment in the past which I've been given a blue badge for parking and even offered a car. I believe it just goes to show how different assessments and assessors have different outcomes.

Going forward, I will challenge the decision, not sure if I will outsource help from a company or try again myself.

Thank you for listening to me and my rant haha!

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @bluedobs :) I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get the PIP award you were hoping for. 

There's no need to apologise for the mini rant, and you're absolutely not the only person to get upset over comments made by assessors who may have misunderstood the effects your condition has and so on. 

I'd definitely encourage you to submit an MR if you feel as though you're entitled to an award.
    And yes, I am sometimes capable of doing things unaided and no assistance required, I mean on my good days I sometimes forget I have my chronic illness! But I would say atleast 2 to 3 weeks out a month, I have a flare up (worse during the winter periods) which takes a minimum of 4-5 days to recover and even then I still don't feel 100%. 
    Are you familiar with the 50% rule? Benefits and Work have some information on this:
    Even if there are days when you can do an activity without difficulties, that still doesn’t mean you won’t be eligible for PIP.

Because the law says that you are eligible for points if you satisfy one or more descriptors under an activity on more than 50% of the days in the twelve-month qualifying period.

So if, because of depression you are unable to motivate yourself to wash and bathe on four days a week, then you should score points for that. This will be the case even though on the other three days a week you can do this without anyone to prompt you.

Some people find that keeping a diary of their condition helps.

I'd also suggest that you take another look at the PIP descriptors (pipinfo.net) and identify where you should have scored points. It's important that you remember not to focus on incorrect statements the assessor might have made, but rather concentrate on demonstrating why you're right. Does that make sense?

Turn 2 Us, along with other websites, have plenty of useful information about PIP MRs, so I'd definitely encourage you to take a look through that.

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • bluedobs
    Hi @Tori_Scope! Thank you so much for your kind words and advice, it has definitely cheered me up!  :) 

I did not know about the 50% rule, I guess I had some incidences (more than I would care to admit) of having dark thoughts, why continue when this is a never ending cycle that I’m never going to get out off? But then I remember words from a nurse once ‘if you can overcome the battle in your mind, you’re halfway there’, and it’s little things that help you see the light at the end of the tunnel! I would never say I’m depressed but my chronic illness has played some dark mind tricks on me. 

I’ve actually told the assessor I kept a diary of when my flare ups happen or try to kept notes of it, but don’t think it mattered to her. 

I will definitely have a look at your links and take notes and again thank you so much, it has turned my crappy day into a not so crappy day!  :)
  • Jcmate12
    Jcmate12 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Everytime most don’t get it and have to appeal 
    the assessment is not even a doctor 
    It’s wrong my son wins every time he appeal , he has his letter from. the consultant, he wins before it gets appeal 
    it’s a money saving excess who do they not pay interest on the claim they win 
    gone on to long Why has not been challenged in court 
    to
  • Jcmate12
    Jcmate12 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Jcmate12 said:
    Everytime most don’t get it and have to appeal 
    the assessment is not even a doctor 
    It’s wrong my son wins every time he appeal , he has his letter from. the consultant, he wins before it gets appeal 
    it’s a money saving excess who do they not pay interest on the claim they win 
    gone on to long Why has not been challenged in court 
    to

• carrie05
    carrie05 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    @bluedobs.  I also have arthritis, and also can do things some days and not others.  At the moment I am in process of a complaint with DWP over PIP. They rejected my complaint.  I don’t know if this is helpful but .....    I was given the ombudsman ice@dwp.gov.uk  ( phone 01512216500 ), a free independent service, they were really helpful.  Once you receive your DWP rejection letter ICE can start the process to look into your claim rejection , the way you were treated, if your assessor was incorrect, if they have broken the Customer Charter etc.  Ice also said I must write to the DWP and ask for a “Reconsideration” of their assessment, as soon as they rejected my claim. I see you said you had telephone conversations with DWP, did you get the PIP forms sent to you to complete?   If it’s still the same as before, they have a point score system for each question , and if you score a certain amount you should be entitled to PIP. 
  • Popdiva43
    Popdiva43 Community member Posts: 170 Pioneering
    @bluedobs good morning I'm sorry you didn't the award, its so disheartening, I literally got zero points, and the same at MR, but then I found this site and was told not to give up, and I took their advice and with all the research I did and help I got, and finally after 8 months had tribunal and won and got enhanced on both, this process has made me an emotional wreck, but there can be light at the end of the tunnel, don't give up keep fighting x
  • bluedobs
    @carrie05 Hi, thanks for you comment! Yes so you will be fully aware that we have good days where we feel like we can do everything without being assisted or in pain and then there are the bad days which are a nightmare and knocks your whole schedule and routine out of place :( I will definitely give ICE an e-mail. I have been in contact with a company which mainly takes cases like PIP claims, rejections etc, but I have still to hear back. I sadly never got through to DWP yesterday to get a written report of the assessment, the 0 points in all sections was confirmed by the rejection letter. The assessor I feel like sometimes was quite abrupt and I read somewhere on this forum multiple times that some assessors took time to look at your previous condition and medical reports. From my assessor's tone and questions that were asked, I clearly knew she had no clue about my condition. 
  • bluedobs
    @Popdiva43 thanks for your comment! I am soo happy for you that after a long time you got granted the PIP! :) It is good news to hear you did not give up and even though you got rejection multiple times, you got there in the end, it gives me some hope at least! Yes I think the whole process can be mentally draining, especially having to fight your case and prove to people that your condition is real and can affect you!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.