Hi, my name is lizzy1865! Debt management question — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is lizzy1865! Debt management question

lizzy1865
lizzy1865 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited July 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi there my partner is due some back pay from universal credit after passing his limited to work assessment but we have some old rent arrears which currently gets taken at a set amount each month, the arrears have gone to the overpayment team so can they take it all of the debt please 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there and welcome to the community 

Yes they can take any money owed for debt but who do you owe the debt to is it dwp 
  • lizzy1865
    edited July 2021
    it’s housing Benifit that we owe it’s taken out at £130 each month normally but the money we are owed from UC has gone straight to debt management so will they take it all or a percentage please. Thank you for the welcome ? 
  • janer1967
    If your debt is more than the money owed they will take it all 

If there is any left after paying the debt then you will get what is left over 

You can try and challenge it as there is already payment plan in place but don't know if it will get you anywhere 

See other posts about it on here as there is some useful advice in them from other members 
  • lizzy1865
    Yes it is more and I’ve seen different advice saying can only take a percentage and others say all so going to give them a call tomorrow thanks for getting back to me :-) 
  • janer1967
    Your welcome 

Basically if you thinks about it logical.  They don't owe you the arrears as you already owe them 

At least it will be paid off quicker and you will have more money each month 
  • lizzy1865
    Ah yes that is true, thanks again 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @lizzy1865

Welcome to the community, how are you? 

I hope the information provided by janer1967 has been helpful for you, and that you are able to get things cleared up after giving them a call today.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.