Does a bed count as an aid for dressing? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does a bed count as an aid for dressing?

Aella
Aella Community member Posts: 23 Connected
I'm having a reasessment by phone for PIP.  Since my last assessment I've had a stroke, so my condition has worsened.  The stroke has left me so unbalanced that I can't stand on one leg any more, not even for a moment.  So when I get dressed, the only way I can put underwear trousers and socks on is to lie down on my bed and do it.  Does the bed count as an "aid or appliance to be able to dress or undress?"

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there and welcome to the community 

Im no expert but I wouldn't think a bed would count as a aid 

Non disabled people would sit on bed to get dressed as well 

I only have 1 leg and I didn't put it down but I don't know if that was wrong 

Other members will be able to help you can also look online for aids that are considered for pip 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Aella - judges have disagreed over this one. Please see: https://pipinfo.net/issues/aids-and-appliances
    'In [2015] UKUT 572 (AAC) Judge Mark ruled that a bed could be an aid for the purposes of getting dressed. However, in [2016] UKUT 197 AAC, Judge Jacobs disagreed finding that, whilst an item did not have to be specifically designed as an aid, it nevertheless must be sufficiently 'connected' to the activity to count as an aid for the purposes of PIP. In [2016] UKUT 501 (AAC), Judge Markus prefers the ‘connection argument’, holding that sitting was a ‘usual and normal’ way to dress which meant a bed was not an aid for dressing or undressing in all but the most exceptional cases.'

However, you mention you have to lie down to dress your lower half, rather than sit. Your argument perhaps, which you seem to say, is that you cannot do this activity 'reliably' (in this case safely) without lying down. I would just say what you have to do in order to get dressed.

Remember, for all activities, you may score some points if you can't do an activity:
     - Safely
     - In a reasonable time (does it take you more than twice as long as someone without your disability?)
     - To an acceptable standard
     - Repeatedly (as often as it would be reasonable to expect)
    Good luck with your assessment. :)
  • Aella
    thanks for the info.  Do you think non slip socks for the shower count as an aid?
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member Posts: 348 Pioneering
    Hi,

I think your missing the concept of an aid abit, Like anything that is designed to help you do the task is classed as an Aid, but it can't be something that is used to make life easier for everyone. for example, having a hand rail to grab, having a seat in your shower, having a wet room. I don't think socks count as they are designed for everyone and anyone to use them and don't specifically help you shower and count just the same as having a shower mat which many have.

You need to have things that specifically are designed to help you, like walking aids, rails, lifts etc. Not everyday items or anyone could say anything is an aid really. Like I could say my computer chair is an aid, as it adjusts in height, or my bed is an aid because I sit on it to put socks and shoes on.

My point being you could argue anything is an Aid, but only aids that are not everyday items and are designed to help you personally do the task easier. Also just a note but saying you put socks on and off after and before each time you shower might actually go against you.

Hope this helps.
  • Aella
    Well my phone assessment just finished.  It was the worst assessment I've ever had.  The woman had a very strong accent, I could barely understand what she was saying.She was ignoring things I was saying and trying to catch me out.  She didn't ask relevant things and dismissed me when I brought them up, and kept asking me what I'd do in random scenarios that won't happen.  Like I have a walk in shower not a bathtub but she kept saying, "But IF you had a bathtub would you be able to get in and out?"  After being told I usually get accompanied by my mum who drives me around, "IF you were on a bus that broke down how would you get home," etc.
    Ans when I told her that my condition had improved in one aspect she acted like I'd lied.  When I filled out the form 7 months ago I wrote that I was unable to do any cooking but told her that had improved and I can now do basic stuff like microwaving.  She acted like I'd lied on the form.  Conditions can change you know?
    She didn't even ask me things that I thought they were meant to, like about whether I can plan a journey and travel there without help.  She kept trying to get me to change my answers too.  Like when I said I was unable to manage my own money due to serious overspending resulting in debt, so my mother now has control of my bank account.  She kept ignoring that and saying things like "but how do you manage your bank account?  Phone banking, going into branch or internet banking?"  And I was like,"I don't, my mum does that," and she kept refusing to take that for an answer and badgering me about how I manage my money.
    When I told her my mum now dishes my medication out to me as I kept forgetting to take it and there are so many pills now I can't keep track of them all she was ignoring that and trying to badger me and trick me into slipping out that I manage my own meds.  
    She also kept pressing for me to tell her when all of my previous medical appointments were, like what dates.  And I've had so many I can't remember when they all were.  Whenever I couldn't remember one she'd be like, "Well, 3 months ago?  4? "  No matter how many times I said I couldn't remember and she was saying things like, "Shall I just put 2 months ago?"  And eventually after feeling pressured to just say "OK" a few times eventually I said, "I really can't remember and I don't want to give false information," so I'm worried about being accused of lying if she puts down a particular date for a medical appointment and it turns out that wasn't the right date.
    She was really pushy about how often I leave the house.  She said I have to give her 4 examples of places I go.  But I only had three places - food shopping, medical appointments and out for walks in the park.  She was really pushy about trying to make me tell her a fourth place but I don't go anywhere else.
    And some of the questions were just weird.  After my stroke I'm really unbalanced and have fallen over and banged into things a lot, but apparently this is only relevant if it happens in the kitchen.  I haven't had any falls in the kitchen.  She made it sound like falls elsewhere don't count even though I regularly have them in the hallway and my bedroom.

Do they record these calls because I feel like I might need some evidence as I don't think she was writing what I was saying.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hu 

Sorry you dibt think it went well

They are not recorded 

The assessor doesn't write down what you said as you have put that in your form 

They make a judgement on your functionality based on what you said it is their opinion rather than what you say 

Some questions do seem random but are all linked to the descriptors 

It does sound like she was being pushy with the questions she will have been trying to judge which points to recommend 
  • laurapeach
    laurapeach Community member, Scope Member Posts: 114 Pioneering
    I got points for using my bed as an aid, as it helps to lessen the fatigue I experience from getting dressed/I am unsteady on my feet standing up. 
    Mum of one little girl.

I am AuDHD and I have M.E/CFS and POTS.
  • Aella
    A HCP has no obligation to write any of what you say. They are doing an assessment and can draw their own conclusions. 
    I'm not sure I understand.  What do you mean they draw their own conclusions?  I'm worried the assessor wasn't listening or will outright lie.  For instance after my stroke I lost all the vision in the bottom right hand quadrant.  But the assessor said, "but you can see alright with glasses?"  And I explained that that vision is gone, glasses don't change that.  But she kept ignoring this and seemed to be making a note that I can see fine with glasses.
  • LeeA380
    LeeA380 Community member Posts: 59 Connected
    I got 0 points for dressing and undressing as I thought crutches and/or needing to sit down to dress would have been sufficient to count as an aid - but apparently not.

Lots of people sit down to dress, especially socks. That is not a disability, it is just a preference.

In my MR, I mentioned that I need a sock slip/hook and I kind of hope this is the aid they are looking for (i should have mentioned that in my original application but thought crutches would suffice for every question).

I am awaiting the decision of my MR - it has been about 8 weeks now.
  • Aella
    LeeA380 said:
    I got 0 points for dressing and undressing as I thought crutches and/or needing to sit down to dress would have been sufficient to count as an aid - but apparently not.

Lots of people sit down to dress, especially socks. That is not a disability, it is just a preference.

In my MR, I mentioned that I need a sock slip/hook and I kind of hope this is the aid they are looking for (i should have mentioned that in my original application but thought crutches would suffice for every question).

I am awaiting the decision of my MR - it has been about 8 weeks now.
    In my case lying down to dress is not a preference but a necessity.  I literally cannot stand on one leg for even a moment without falling.  I have no balance at all.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.