Benefits and TRYING to go back to work — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefits and TRYING to go back to work

Doc87
Doc87 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi all ?

I'm looking for some help and advice.

I got diagnosed with ME/CFS 9yrs ago & recently I've been considering trying to see if I'm capable of doing some form of work.

I'm currently receiving ESA (support group), PIP (high care), housing benefit and council tax.

I have had to fight so hard for my benefits since day dot and it worries me speaking to DWP with my thoughts that I could suddenly lose my benefits.

Has anyone been in this situation before? If so, what happened?

I live by myself and it worries me that I could end up loosing my home because my benefits get taken away.

Would I be moved over from ESA support group to the WRAG. Or universal credits? Would I have to make a new claim for UC and then I'd lose the legacy benefits side.

I understand I wouldn't be able to do more than 16hrs within permitted & I know I certainly would be lucky if I could manage 16hrs a week. I don't even know if I could sustain a job, but I really want to try.

Any help, advice or previous experience would be greatly appreciated
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    @doc87 hi and welcome to scope on another hot sunny day.
    Have you considered doing some form of voluntary work to see how you get on without making a massive commitment?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Doc87
    Hey ? thanks for your response.

I did consider this but I understood I would still need to be in a different group/ benefit which would still pose the same questions as above???
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Doc87
    Thanks for that woodbine. But from what I can see it doesn't answer what I'm looking to know when it comes to the fact I'm in the support group.

I'm really keen to know more on the situation when it comes to trying to get back into work and the above. Many thanks
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hu there 

If in support group you are allowed to work up to 16 hours like you quote this is permitted work 

It will not affect your esa or support group 

You will have to inform dwp if you start work and the work must not contradict the reason you are in support group 

It could prompt a reassessment 

But you don't need to move to uc or be put in a different group unless a reassessment puts you in another group 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    The whole point of the permitted work rules is to allow you to try work, or do limited work, without losing benefit.

Provided you do not exceed the permitted work limits you will remain in the Support Group until such time as you are reassessed and a different decision made about your status. If the type of work you undertake contradicts the reasons you are in the Support Group that might prompt a reassessment.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Doc87
    Thanks for your replies folks, really appreciate it.

I understood that you couldn't do any kind of paid work whilst you were getting ESA support group. So that's interesting to know.

So would this mean I could still receive what I currently get in benefits as well what I earn?

Sorry if I'm coming across thick, but I am so scared that trying to get my life back to some kind of normal and taking the first step could lead to me not affording my home. As I said, I haven't worked for 9yrs now and I really would like to try
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes you will still get your benefits as you do now and be able to earn from work as long as you don't exceed the limits of permitted work 
  • Doc87
    So am I best speaking to DWP & explaining I want to try and do permitted work before I find a job? Or after I've found one?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    As explained in the rules, when you find work you should inform them before you start
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/employment-and-support-allowance-permitted-work-form/permitted-work-factsheet
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.