Volunteering and working part time while on LCWRA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Volunteering and working part time while on LCWRA

Big_Al_71
Big_Al_71 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited July 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi I was wondering if you can volunteer while receiving LCWRA I have been diagnosed Bipolar 2 years ago I have eventually got LCWRA after a long battle I just dont want to jeopardise my claim . And also can I work part time without it affecting  my claim and how much can I earn .
Thanks in anticipation  of your answers.

Tagged:

Comments

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    I believe both are possible, however I would expect the work you carry out either on a paid or voluntary basis can’t contradict the problems and issues you were assessed as having and experienced and which why you were awarded LCWRA. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    As Mark says, there on no restrictions on volunteering or working while treated as having LCWRA. If the type of volunteering/work contradicts the reasons you are treated as having LCWRA that might prompt a reassessment.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I hope the above replies have cleared that up for you @Big_Al_71 :) 

What kind of volunteering and work opportunities are you looking at? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Big_Al_71
    Big_Al_71 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
     Hi Tori_Scope it is a club that deals with issues that men/ boys with problems with mental health issues loneliness in need of company  etc I am there as a visitor just now but I have been asked to be a volunteer  as I have a lot if knowledge on mental health issues from personal circumstances  from myself and my mum I feel this would be very rewarding  and good to give something back.???

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Wow, that sounds great @Big_Al_71! Definitely worthwhile :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • doyle0592
    doyle0592 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Hi I just wondering if I started volunteering would my partner have to look for work as it's a joint claim on universal credit thanks James
  • calcotti
    You volunteering will not affect your partners claimant commitment. What are they currently required to do?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • doyle0592
    Nothing currently as she cares for me would this be an issue?? thanks James
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    doyle0592 said:

No...
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • doyle0592
    @poppy123456 can you explain more please as I have Asperger's thanks James
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    doyle0592 said:
    @poppy123456 can you explain more please as I have Asperger's thanks James
    As advised by calcotti
    calcotti said:
    You volunteering will not affect your partners claimant commitment.
    I'm assuming she's claiming the carers element for looking after you, which is why she has no work commitments?
    You need to report onto your journal that you are doing some voluntary work.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    doyle0592 said:
    If she is receiving the carer element of UC and therefore recorded as a carer she has no work related commitments. She will still be your carer even if you are doing some volunteering so her situation will not change.
  • doyle0592
    Ok she was worried they where going to chuck her out to work that's all would you know if theres a hours limit to volunteering as looking to build up some experience etc to get a part time or maybe full time  job in the future thanks James
  • calcotti
    No limits - you just need to be aware if the volunteering or work you do appears to contradict the reason you have been found to have LCWRA it may prompt a reassessment.
  • doyle0592
    Ok thank you 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.