Hi, my name is Mary1972! Does anyone know about PIP? I applied in Jan 2021 and haven't heard back - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Mary1972! Does anyone know about PIP? I applied in Jan 2021 and haven't heard back

13»

Comments

• jollyjoe2065
    jollyjoe2065 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Hi mary1972, it's no shame to say u suffer from metal health a few hrs back I also suffered from metal health and tried ending my life on many occasions, but with the right help I got through this ,  Don't be ashamed. Saying to someone who have. I also had a knock back about pip  every thing I sai in the assessment was turned around  by the assessor   even she said that I didn't suffer from metal health who can they say  that if they don't know you.  And to tell me that I would not be entitled to it as there was nothing wrong with me next time ask for the assessment to be recorded.
  • Mary1972
    Mary1972 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Mental health is a very complex thing...
    I have searched my head but at the end of the day I need to be able to be open and honest but I cant, Ive had someone tell me for years I've done things wrong anyway good luck x
  • Freespirit47
    Freespirit47 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    Hi Mary. I have Mental Health Issues myself due to brain damage, and they are many other reasons, like most have said there is no shame in that, just find ways to keep your mind happy.
  • Freespirit47
    Freespirit47 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    edited July 2021
    Hi JollyJoe, <moderator removed - misinformation about PIP process> What I have typed above describes all my problems, this was why my claim was successful for Care and Mobility.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @Freespirit47

Lots of people have been awarded pip solely for mental health issues 

You only have to read on here the number that have been awarded and not related to brain injuries 

Please be mindful of such sweeping statements that could affect other members 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    @Freespirit47 - I agree with Jane, in that many people get awarded PIP solely on their mental health. The latest statistics that I can find say that 52% of assessment award rates to April 2021 by main disabling condition were for 'psychiatric disorders.' Please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/personal-independence-payment-statistics-to-april-2021/personal-independence-payment-statistics-to-april-2021   tho these seem to be for a short term (as the majority are whatever the condition).
    Just to add, when you go to a tribunal any medical condition would rarely be disputed as far as PIP goes. The tribunal want to hear how your condition affects you in certain activities of daily living &/mobility as regards the descriptors.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    Freespirit47 said: The DWP has been made clear that those purely with Mental Health Conditions will not get PIP if it's not related to Brain Damage, 
    As others have said this is not correct.
    From the PIP Assessment guide
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/655612/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-assessment-criteria.pdf
    2.1.1 A health condition or impairment may be physical, sensory, mental, intellectual or cognitive, or any combination of these. The impact of all impairment types must be taken into account across the activities, where they affect a claimant’s ability to complete the activity and achieve the stated outcome. For example, a claimant with a severe depressive illness may physically be able to prepare food and feed himself, but may lack the motivation to do so, to the extent of needing prompting from another person to carry out the task. However, some activities focus on specific elements of function. For example, ‘moving around’ relates to the physical aspects of walking.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    @Freespirit47

Hello there :)  I've edited your post as it contained misinformation about eligibility for PIP in groups who have mental health conditions.  The governmental guidance cited above by @calcotti and award rate statistics for those in the 'psychiatric disorders' category, included by @chiarieds, validate that mental health conditions (other than and including brain damage) are eligible for PIP where they "affect a claimant’s ability to complete the activity and achieve the stated outcome".  

Indeed, PIP doesn't focus on how a condition impacts a person's ability to work but rather carry out the mobility and daily living components listed on this Citizens Advice webpage.

As per our house rules, and to prevent anyone reading from being misinformed, I'd ask you to include only factually correct information in future posts (using reliable evidence to back up statements where possible).  However, I do appreciate your intention was to help the OP.

Lastly, I'm pleased to hear your claim was successful.  

@Mary1972 Please keep us informed with how you get on once you receive your decision letter.  I have my fingers crossed for you.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • daisy1838
    daisy1838 Community member Posts: 31 Courageous
    Mary I’m so sorry you’re feeling the way you do. You’re so much stronger than you think, you got here with your decisions and none of it was wrong. 

It resonates with me and if you ever need to have a chat send me a message anytime! 
  • Mary1972
    Mary1972 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Hello just wanted to update on my PIP claim post as I know its taking so long to get a decision back.

So after a very long wait I have been awarded enhanced daily living nothing for mobility,  even though I wont go out without my daughter,  so unsure if I should ask for a MR as I'm just grateful for the daily living element.  

This was a new claim and I suffer with mental health issues 

I applied on 28th Jan 2021

Assessment via telephone 19th July 2021

Requested assessor report and received it on 25th July 2021

Had a back payment in my bank on 17th August 2021

Got my award letter 19th August 2021
    I hope this helps other with time scales etc

Thanks for all the help and support in this group
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Great news glad it's all sorted with a positive outcome 
  • effie678
    effie678 Community member Posts: 54 Courageous
    Well done on your daily living award. I was the same but got standard daily living and no mobility. I've requested a MR as feel I should have got mobility as well. Good luck in whatever you decide
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for the update @Mary1972 - pleased you got a good award for the daily living component. :)  If you do decide to go for a MR there's a form you can complete here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/683380/if-you-disagree-with-a-decision-made-by-dwp.PDF     or you can just write a letter, remembering to put your name & National Insurance number on each page.
  • abbyk41
    abbyk41 Community member Posts: 96 Connected
    Hi sorry to jump in I had phone assessment on Tuesday say if I did ring up and ask for report how can you work out what they have recommended do they tick boxes etc 
  • karen1812
    karen1812 Community member Posts: 60 Connected
    Yes I got brians report looked at the activities that they assessed him on I worked it out 24 points daily living and 24 points mobility 
  • susie121
    susie121 Community member Posts: 22 Listener
    Great news Mary1972 so pleased for you still waiting for my decision ? not helping my anxiety. Take care 
  • tanbang
    tanbang Community member Posts: 61 Connected
    Hello all

i filled out my pip form in June this year and I had a text message in July saying they have received my pip form and it may go to a hp and they will get back to me … 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.