Psychological help for my daughter. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Psychological help for my daughter.

Options
Iank
Iank Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited December 2021 in Children, parents, and families
Hi,
I have a 29yr old daughter who has a learning disability and is on the autistic spectrum. Approximately 5 years ago she said she hurt a hand whilst dancing around in her bedroom. We have since this time had issues with her arm/hand. We went through various medical examinations and saw various experts in the NHS, the conclusion being there was nothing physically wrong with her hand.
We are now at the stage where she does not use her left arm. She constantly wears a support bandage and her arm looks disfigured. We have asked constantly for help for someone with mental health skills to speak to her.The only thing we were offered was family therapy which was not appropriate. No one seems to believe it will make a difference speaking to her. Can you tell me if there is someone who can speak with her. We are willing to pay a professional if you could point us in the right direction. Undoubtedly the pandemic has had an effect on her.  
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter 

I don't know where to suggest but hope others can help 
  • loubylou1511
    loubylou1511 Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    Options
    Hi Lank,

sorry to hear about bout your daughters issues, i’m not quite sure how it works in your area for adults with learning difficulties and autism. I would go back to her gp and explain how the family therapy was not appropriate, don’t feel dismayed by their first offer of help, there are lots of other treatments they can try, as frustrating as it is, sometimes you just need to keep stating your case in order to get the help for your daughter you really need.

There are also lots of mental health organisations that can offer help and support, I don’t know if you have heard of mind? That’s just one of many.

Do not be afraid to keep on at your GP, just because one of their suggestions didn’t work, there are many that could and unfortunately due to the pandemic and GP’s under the pump, they won’t come to you, you have to back to them and explain that you need further assistance.

I wish you all well.
  • Iank
    Iank Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you for your comments. We are waiting for a reply from our GP. As you say there are delays.
  • loubylou1511
    loubylou1511 Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    Options
    You’re welcome, don’t be fobbed off by them, I hope you all get on ok, do let us know how you get on.

All the best x

Brightness