Is anyone else having problems contacting or hearing back from DVLA? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is anyone else having problems contacting or hearing back from DVLA?

rubin16
rubin16 Community member Posts: 346 Pioneering
Hi,

Due to ongoing medical conditions I have had my license revoked, however back in March 2021 my doctor said I could reapply for it if I wanted and would help me gain some independence. So I applied for it at the end of March (Via Post), I had one correspondance back to say I need to add a photo to my application, to which I did and sent back the application, this was back in April. Since then I have heard nothing from them, no request for Medical information like the usually do nothing.I checked as well and they cashed the cheque for the new photo fee.

I have since April been trying to phone them via all channels: Email, Phone and Webchat. Email I get no response back at all and just say a generic response. Phone is always busy and cuts you off, can't even be put in a queue and have tried to phone at different times of the day for the past 2 months. Webchat takes all your information and then says no ones available and closes chat. I did manage to get in a queue once or twice but eventually it just says no ones available and closes.

DVLA is impossible to get in touch with at the moment, is anyone else having problems?

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • rubin16
    edited July 2021
    Wow I just checked their twitter, I didn't realise how bad it was.

For such a vital service that can cost people jobs and livelyhoods the government really should be doing more to handle demand and step in. For me its not the end of the world so I can wait, but reading some of the stories people literally are losing their jobs.
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    Hi @rubinheath16  I've been trying to renew my license and updating the photo since the beginning of March. As you say it's impossible to contact them by any means .  I just hope that if the police asked for it they'll accept that it's somewhere in the system at Swansea.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• Garza
    Garza Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    just come across this thread and didnt want to start another one, I am in a similar situation, sent off my renewal form in the post months ago, license expired may 2021, I am constantly trying to get in touch with DVLA to no avail, I have been driving but I have recently realised that if my license is expired it would probably invalidate my insurance, I have two questions really 

am I right about the insurance? 

can anyone offer any advice on what I should do now? I am really dependant on my car and feel totally stuck, I dont want to drive if it is breaking the law but on the other hand I have no way of checking the status of my application with DVLA and as previously pointed out it is widely known they are months behind and quite frankly the whole service is in a right state
  • rubin16
    Hi,

If your license expired, then this would mean your insurance isn't valid and would be driving without insurance. I do know there is an extension in place for licenses that are due to expire soon and becuase of the backlog, i'm not sure what the extension length is but you can check your license and status here: https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

The whole service is a joke, I finally managed to get through to them on the phone a few weeks ago after months of trying and they said they havn't even managed to look at my application however will send out the medical enquiry forms to fill in to hurry things along.

I hope your license is extended and you hear back soon.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2021
    rubin16 said:
    Hi,

If your license expired, then this would mean your insurance isn't valid and would be driving without insurance. I do know there is an extension in place for licenses that are due to expire soon and becuase of the backlog, i'm not sure what the extension length is but you can check your license and status here: https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

The whole service is a joke, I finally managed to get through to them on the phone a few weeks ago after months of trying and they said they havn't even managed to look at my application however will send out the medical enquiry forms to fill in to hurry things along.

I hope your license is extended and you hear back soon.

Driving license extension are no longer in place for driving license's that expired from January 2021. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/dvla-coronavirus-covid-19-update#renewing-a-driving-licence

If your driving licence expires while DLVLA are processing your renewal application, you can continue driving as long as you meet certain conditions including only driving vehicles you were entitled to drive on your previous licence, not being told by a doctor or optician that you shouldn’t drive, and you aren’t disqualified from driving.

The above information means that your car insurance is still valid providing you meet those conditions above.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Garza
    Garza Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    thanks for the advice, as I cant prove DVLA has my application I have decided to stop driving until I am able to speak to someone there, whenever that may be 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Garza said:
    thanks for the advice, as I cant prove DVLA has my application I have decided to stop driving until I am able to speak to someone there, whenever that may be 

Providing you meet the conditions to continue driving (see above link) There's no need to stop driving.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness