I've been diagnosed with Spinal Stenosis. Am I entitled to disability allowance? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I've been diagnosed with Spinal Stenosis. Am I entitled to disability allowance?

Michelle16
Michelle16 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi, I have been diagnosed with Spinal Stonosis, I have had an MRI but no follow up due to covid , 2 appointments cancelled so don't really know what I am supposed to do apart from keep going for a walk which I try to do daily some days a bit further than others but always need to sit for a bit when I get back. Any advice please. I have also read somewhere that I could apply for disability allowance is this correct 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi 

You can apply for PIP which is all about how your disability affects your daily living things like cooking , bathing , dressing, communication   finances, reading and your mobility 

Have a look in our PIP section for advice 

As for other benefits it's hard to advise without knowing your circumstances eg work , living arrangements , savings and so on 

You could use a benefit calculator found on here also to see what you may be entitled to 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Yes, I've had that all my life (nearly 45 years) and have been on various disability related benefits including currently on enhanced PIP.

You need to contact your local branch of the Benefits Office and have a word.

• julieb192804
    julieb192804 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I'm having my nerve conducting test finally, in a week, so much pain. I never thought of applying for any benefits till I read this. wouldn't know where to start. any advice would be good. thankyou 
  • julieb192804
    julieb192804 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    thankyou. il wait for the results, which is a face to face consultation, 2wks after the nerve test.. I already have my results from my mri scan. I have had this problem for over 5years it's taken this long to actually sort something 
  • mariequirk
    mariequirk Community member Posts: 38 Connected
    Following this, I have the same problem with cervical and lumber. Iv had both mri done I can have injections in lumber but not cervical only surgery. 

Any advice much appreciated. 
  • Caro4
    Caro4 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I have Lumbar Spinal Stenosis, diagnosed in 1989 & again after another scan in 2006.  I eventually, after 2 years of fighting to get PIP, was awarded the higher level in mobility & standard for the care element.in 2016.  Last September I got a motability car as I could no longer get down into my car.  This gave me a far better quality of life.  After my 'telephone' assessment in February this year, they decided in July that I was no longer entitled to the care element & only the basic mobility element.  I am devastated.  This has basically made me housebound because I lose the car.  I was told that as I use a rollator this shows I have strength in my arms & shoulders & therefore could walk to a bus stop!!  In February, I had a fall & broke my wrist & elbow in 2 places. I was then diagnosed with Osteoporosis, I am receiving treatment.  I did inform the DWP prior to my assessment.  The DWP have had Doctor's & Consultant's reports.  This appears to have been totally ignored.  I was told by THE DWP that Spinal Stenosis gets better!!  Has anyone else been told this?  I was 34 when I was first diagnosed & it has got considerably worse as I've got older.  I have appealed their decision, but haven't heard anything .  I understand that they have 10 weeks to respond to my appeal, that ends on the 20th September.  I  really don't want to go through all the hassle of a Tribunal again.  Sometimes I feel as if I just can't go on.  

Has anyone else recently lost their PIP entitlement?  

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    Caro4 said:

Has anyone else recently lost their PIP entitlement? 
    Hi,

Yes, it does happen.You mention that DWP have 10 weeks to respond to the appeal, are you are MR stage? If you are then decision's for these are currently taking anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months. The 10 weeks they tell you is nothing more than a guide.

Doctors and Consultant reports are only useful if they state exactly how your conditions affect you and very few state this. The best evidence you can send is your anecdotal evidence. A couple of real world examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Caro4
    Caro4 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks Poppy123456
    When I completed the 'renewal' form I clearly stated how I was affected for each descriptor,.  Including the gadgets I use to help me get dressed, strategically placed grab rails, electric bath lift, rollator etc.  My Consultant &  Doctor's reports were quite clear on my walking abilities & the aids I needed to help in my daily activities.  My GP even sent a further letter to the DWP querying how they could make an assessment of how far I could walk without actually seeing me in person, or how they arrived at the decision that I no longer had Spinal Stenosis.  They also clearly outlined the risk of further broken bones.  Having gone through a Tribunal originally, I made sure that everything I sent was very clear & related to how my disabilities affect my daily life.  Yes I am at MR stage, the DWP stated no longer than 10 weeks & also mentioned this to the Motability company regarding my car.  Can I ask how you know that it is up to 3 months? And is that taken as 12 weeks?  
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    You say you clearly stated how your conditions affect you but did you add a couple of real world examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you?

DWP tell everyone 10 weeks but it's nothing more than a guide. At the moment there's huge backlogs in most areas and it's not unusual for it to take up to 3 months (not 12 weeks because there's more than 4 weeks in a month.) Please also note i did not say 3 months, i said up to 3 months.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    I had my change of circumstances for daily living part left at the same award as before, the reason was on each descriptor the HP had presumed or assumed that as I used 2 mobility scooters I should be able to cope and manage the descriptors. After submitting a 10 page printed A4 MR with full reasons of why I asked for a change of circumstances giving examples of my abilities for each descriptor I was after the MR awarded enhanced in daily living and kept my enhanced mobility.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.