Removal of uplift? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Removal of uplift?

onebigvoice
onebigvoice Scope Member Posts: 736 Pioneering
As you may know the Uplift payment is to be removed in October 2021.  Its a double question open to debate.
  If families that were given the £10 are now going to revert back to the payments as it was before, what has changed to let the government believe that its done what it was supposed to do now remove it? and with the increase in National Insurance of 1.25% this would have to be added to your expendatures/oncome, and would have to go down as another loss.
  Where are people on low income supposed to find this " Extra cash " to compensate for the loss of these amounts over the year when they are struggling now?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    The uplift isn't £10, it's £86.87 per month.. but i'm not getting into any debates so i'm out.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    To be frank, it’s happening, the decision has been made, it was always advised it was temporary, people knew to expect it, nothing can really be done now. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    ...with the increase in National Insurance of 1.25% this would have to be added to your expendatures/oncome, and would have to go down as another loss...
    If someone on UC and in work pays more NI their net pay reduces and their UC goes up (albeit not to cover the full amount).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Community member Posts: 542 Pioneering
    MarkN88 said:
    To be frank, it’s happening, the decision has been made, it was always advised it was temporary, people knew to expect it, nothing can really be done now. 
    Yes, people knew to expect it, but, the extra money has certainly helped. Food prices, gas and electric are going up, not to mention the council tax. If someone is surviving on £324 a month, minus bills, food, they have nothing left. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    It was a good deal, and they even extended it for 6 months, and in all fairness people knew it would end, I don't see them changing their minds now.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    They won't be changing their minds because letters have already been sent to those claiming UC.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Community member Posts: 542 Pioneering
    woodbine said:
    It was a good deal, and they even extended it for 6 months, and in all fairness people knew it would end, I don't see them changing their minds now.
    We all know how this government like their u-turns though ? 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    What exactly was the uplift supposed to pay for in the first place?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• onebigvoice
    leeCal at last..... I agree, whypay it if it was not needed?
  • onebigvoice
    Poppy123456 does that make it exceptable?
  • onebigvoice
    woodbine said:
    Why extend it for six months?  Yes it was only a temp measure so was being furloughed off?  Any way they voted on it and its comming off and the NI tax is going on.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    It's coming off because its come to an end, simple really, as for N.I increase that only affects those in work who earn above £120 per week and it's to help pay for social care and the extra work being done by the NHS.
    As for pensions and the triple lock not applying, the triple lock is the highest of three things inflation, wage inflation or 2.5%, whilst wage inflation is around 8% it would be wrong to increase pensions by that amount as it's a one off caused by people coming off furlough and back onto 100% of their pay.
    Next year the triple lock will apply as usual.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    edited September 2021
    Poppy123456 does that make it exceptable?

Where did i say it was??? It makes no difference to me either way because i claim the old legacy benefits.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @leeCal my understanding of the uplift was to help those on low income but working through the pandemic and possible reduction in pay 

Due to the complexity of establishing those on uc that were working and those not it was applied to everyone 

I may be wrong here but that's my understanding 
  • poppy123456
    @janer1967 spot on!
  • onebigvoice
    As another thought, if it was brought in to help then should the removal be extended since the reason is still there, with the added tax as well? 
  • onebigvoice
    The removal is going ahead anyway.  I am not argueing for the government but just to point out that they always seem to be behind the ball not infront of it showing the way.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.