Pip phone call this Friday — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip phone call this Friday

idontlikeliving
idontlikeliving Community member Posts: 119 Courageous
Firstly I’d like to say hi I’m new. After googling for weeks looking for something to read what will give me at least one ounce of confidence with pip ringing me Friday. I come across this page and I’ve read some in the similar situation as me and really disheartened it’s made me petrified of answering that call, incase I mess it up or I forget something even tho I think I’ve written most down. I’ll start by telling you about me and what stops me from being a normal person. 

I have a depression, ocd, anxiety, panic disorder, back pain, wrist pain, knee pain, due to overly cracking them cos of ocd. Acid reflux, bad bowels 

I am a unstable person, mentally. I do things I know isn’t normal. This is what gets to me too because I’d long to be normal. 

I’m never good at how to word things, I get confused and forget. I would like if anyone could have an input on how I word things or say things to this caller. I always need reassurance. 

I panic around people, tbh I hate people, they have brought me nothing but misery in my life. I am a loner and no family or friends. I house share with another person but they know nothing about me. I will only come out my room when they are at work. Or out. Luckily they are always out and just sleep here. I always sleep. If I sleep I’m not thinking or here in this world. But when I’m awake, it’s just like I have no existence in this life and that I’m pointless in being here, but also want to be here and I don’t know why my head is saying be here don’t be here. 

If I have a drs appointment, I’m thinking about it for days, working myself up about it. My ocd anxiety goes seriously bad. Things I do and say. I will give you a run down of what I have to do and say. Say if I’m going from my bedroom to the kitchen to back to the bedroom. I will walk to the kitchen and be counting my steps, I can’t land on an odd or a number I don’t like, I’m constantly 1,2,3,4 and one for good luck. If I don’t like how I’ve walked to the kitchen or if I’m not satisfied on how properly I counted I have to do it all over again. This can take up to 20 mins just to get to the kitchen. I only will eat ready made meals because flat mate has a cat and I have a really weak stomach and I have a fear of hair on me and in my food. Just thinking about it makes me feel sick and gag if I overthink it. I have to shake my head and go no no no stop, stop it! I swear at myself and it’s so frustrating…. I’m having to count when I touch the switch, I haven’t even used the cooker and I’m spending 15 mins checking it. My ritual is exhausting to point I’m have a melt down. I’ll cry and I’m on the floor, I’m just fed up of it and I just can’t snap out of it. Then when I’m walking back to my room I’m counting again, checking behind me everything is ok, the window is shut properly cos I think if it’s not the cat could jump out and die. I check the cooker for the same reason incase the gas is leaking and it would be my fault because I didn’t check it over. When I’m back in my room I’ve to check and count the door. Then I have to check my food for hair even tho I didn’t make it and was in plastic film. Then when I feel satisfied with the checking I have to say “Thankyou god for protecting me I love you” and in my head he says I love you too. And then I’ll eat. With drinks, if I use a glass I have to cover it in clean foil and then cover the top.every time I drink from it I have to use my phone torch to check anything is in the glass. Then I’m counting for that…. That is only a bite size of what I have to do. I don’t want to make the post too long. 

I often poo myself because I have a bad stomach. The ritual for that and cleaning myself is the worst. ESP if I’m running out of time if flat mate is due home. 

My acid reflux is bad to where it comes up and im sick. 

I have back pain from few years ago I fell down the stairs I have a massive water lump on my butt because I fell right on my left butt cheek over time my back has got worse over time. I can’t stand at something like a counter for a long time as it makes me keel over. My wrists are bad from cracking when nervous and ocd and I can’t pick up medium to heavy things. Like a pan full of water I can’t keep it up. 
My panic disorder, I am on edge constantly, a fly could go past my head and it scares me and my insides panic. I can’t have anything loud,,, if I hear shouting in the streets it scares me and I’m in panic mode. I feel an absolute failure to life. I am a 31 yr old female, no children, no nothing. But mental issues.,

do you think the pip people will just laugh at me and think i don’t allow to have pip? Any advice how to word things would be appreciated, and how to calm down before I make myself pass out. Sorry for the long post. 

Jess x 

Comments

• idontlikeliving
    Forgot to add I have to do 1 2 3 4 one for good luck and I have to do that 4 times and then again one for good luck which is 5 time but if I’m not satisfied I will do all that but 11 times xx
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    @idontlikeliving good evening and a warm welcome to scope, you can have someone at your side during the call although they won't be able to answer for you. Did you make a copy of the PIP application if so it's a good idea to have a good read through it.
    Also make a list of the main points you want to get across about how your disability affects you.
    Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• idontlikeliving
    woodbine said:
    @idontlikeliving good evening and a warm welcome to scope, you can have someone at your side during the call although they won't be able to answer for you. Did you make a copy of the PIP application if so it's a good idea to have a good read through it.
    Also make a list of the main points you want to get across about how your disability affects you.
    Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    Hello. I don’t have anyone who could be next to me… I have done the key points, I just hope I don’t forget what I want to say in the key points. My memory is terrible and even worse when I’m on edge. Yeah I have a copy which I’ve read through. 

Thankyou for replying and I will do 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

It's not the best idea really to read anything on an internet forum before any assessment because naturally, you will mostly on read the bad stories. Those that are successfully awarded have no questions to ask therefore we don't hear their stories. Lots of people successfully claim PIP wilthout any problems.

Make sure your phone is fully charged before the call because it can last anywhere from 15 to 90 minutes, sometimes longer. Have a drink near you is also advised. If you don't understand the question then ask them to repeat it. Hopefully when you filled out the form you gave as much information as possible so there won't be too many questions to ask during the assessment.

Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • idontlikeliving
    Thankyou Poppy. I thought I would have to go through it all again. Thankyou xx
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @idontlikeliving :) Are you receiving enough support for your mental health at the moment? It seems as though your conditions are really affecting your daily life, as well as the way you see yourself. 
    But when I’m awake, it’s just like I have no existence in this life and that I’m pointless in being here, but also want to be here and I don’t know why my head is saying be here don’t be here. 
    Would you be able to explain a little more about what you mean by this? 

I also wanted to say that I don't think you're a failure at all. Dealing with mental ill health can be extremely difficult at times, and your worth isn't measured by whether you've had children or anything like that. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Community member Posts: 542 Pioneering
    Hi @idontlikeliving. I just wanted to say that I also wrote things down before my assessment. You have worded things perfectly on here, just say it like it is. You have told us exactly how your life is affected.
    You are not a failure, in fact, I would say you’re a fighter ?
    My assessment went absolutely fine. The woman was lovely, I wasn’t rushed or anything. It lasted just over an hour, but the time flew by, and didn’t feel that long at all.
    Take your time with it, explain things the way you have here.
    Good luck with it.
  • idontlikeliving
    Hi @idontlikeliving :) Are you receiving enough support for your mental health at the moment? It seems as though your conditions are really affecting your daily life, as well as the way you see yourself. 
    But when I’m awake, it’s just like I have no existence in this life and that I’m pointless in being here, but also want to be here and I don’t know why my head is saying be here don’t be here. 
    Would you be able to explain a little more about what you mean by this? 

I also wanted to say that I don't think you're a failure at all. Dealing with mental ill health can be extremely difficult at times, and your worth isn't measured by whether you've had children or anything like that. 
    I talk to my work coach every week. She’s such a blessing to me. She’s lovely and listens. I meant I want to be here but that’s because I do have hope I will get better one day. Just right now I’m struggling because this pip call is happening Friday, I’m usually in control of my feelings kinda but now I’m just overwhelmed, overthinking. The stress is making me sweat, shake and I have an episode a day thinking I can’t do this, I’ll have a breakdown and tbh I feel better after. Luckily I can see light at the end because I’ve been through this before and I got better. It’s just swings and roundabouts. I get frustrated because I wish it would just leave me alone and so I can be a normal person. I can see you are concerned and I won’t do anything stupid I promise. I have done in the past and it scared me to not do it again. Xx
  • idontlikeliving
    Thankyou so much @Leigh14 it makes me feel better that there are nice assessors. Xx

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.