Virtual buffet as me and bump say bye... for now — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Virtual buffet as me and bump say bye... for now

Cher_Alumni
Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger

Ever one to be self-indulgent ( :D ), I couldn't let my last full day on the community before maternity leave go by without an online soiree with you lovely lot.

Feel free to bring along nibbles, play baby-related songs, tell me your top tips on parenting and what made your parents special to you and perhaps even guess the birth weight of our little mister.  All prayers/wishes/thoughts for a safe delivery are most appreciated too!

https://youtu.be/9_y6nFjoVp4

PS - This year has gone by in a flash and I've learnt so much from each and every one of you.  You all won't be far from my thoughts as I enter the new world of nappies, sleep deprivation and baby powder and I'll genuinely be wishing you all well  <3  Look after yourself and take care.
Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Comments

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Take care and good luck with it all. 
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    @Cher_Scope. My top tip is enjoy every second because before you know your 'baby' will be all grown up :) Rely on your instincts, everyone will have good advice and it can be overwhelming sometimes. Please keep in touch and let us know how things are going.

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Omg canr believe that time has come already 

You will be missed I wish you all the best for your new chapter and becoming a yummy mummy !!!! 

My tip is feed on demand not every 2 hours like will be suggested and if you don't get on with feeding yourself don't feel bad it's hard on you and the bottle is fine 

Enjoy every minute buf don't forget to send us a pic 

Take care 
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,411 Disability Gamechanger
         You're going to smash it, my tip is the same as Cressida's. Blink and your baby will be ready to spread their wings.
          Just enjoy  <3
  • idontlikeliving
    idontlikeliving Community member Posts: 119 Courageous
    What a lovely post to read after all the doom and gloom lol I wish you all the best and hope you don’t stay away for too long. I will guess the babies weight. 7lbs 4oz. Totally random number haha ❤️
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Good luck @Cher_Scope

It has been really nice to have you on the website, I have enjoyed your posts and hope you come back when you are able to :)
  • Oxonlady
    Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
    Hi @Cher_Scope, I'll miss you but wish you all the very best, I hope it all goes well for you.
    I've no tips to pass on because each baby is individual, with different needs and character. Listen to your instincts more than other people's!
    I look forward to hearing from you when you are ready! 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Aww thanks you lot, what blimmin' lovely messages.  Trying not to happy hormonal cry  :D<3

I'll definitely send on news/pics once he makes an appearance.  Honestly, I can't wait to hold him in my arms, it still feels very surreal and he is absolutely a little miracle baby.  I've heard lots about my mother's gut instinct kicking in so will be holding out for that - why do babies not come with a manual, I ask you?!

<passes around a tray of mini sausage rolls>  

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    Birth weight 6lb 10 

Puts some mini quiche on the buffet table and changes the record to baby love 
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member Posts: 348 Pioneering
    I wish you and the baby all the best, thankyou for being there not just for me, but for helping lots of others too. Looking forward to the baby pics and you returning in the future.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Connected
    I can't believe that this has arrived so quickly! It only feels like yesterday that you shared a lovely photo of yourself and hubby after tying the knot, and announcing your little guest!

If you are anything like how you are on the community, then you'll be a very special mummy to the little man. You're kind, funny, have a heart of gold, and are resilient. You have oozed mummy vibes from the second you joined us and we all think you're one in a million!

I think I can say on behalf of everyone, that yes we are sad that you'll be leaving us for a while, we are absolutely over the moon for you to begin this new chapter! We all love you and wish you the very best :heart:
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Cher_Scope

I wish you the best of luck with the birth and the time ahead with your bump. I hope you enjoy both. Have you have got any ideas of names for your bump yet? You must share their name and photos with us. My parents have always been special to me because they have always made time for me and tried their best in all ways. On that note, make sure you look after yourself and maximise your time with your bump. I will look forward to seeing you when you return and you will be missed in the meantime   <3
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Very best wishes to you and Mr Cher.  <3
    I remember the first time holding my babies I had this really strong feeling that I'd known their little souls all my life, like they'd always been with me somehow.
    You will be knackered, it will be worth it!

I also remember spending ages in the better toy shops deciding on which was the best shape sorter, or cot mobile and and which seemed the absolute safest re materials used.

Fast forward five years and I was buying them pointy sticks with probably toxic materials and choking hazards from a man in the street to quiet the tantrum.  :D

You're going to be a great mum, you've got this!  :)
  • Cher_Alumni
    Eeesh you guys  :'( << happy tears

Your words are much appreciated as a geriatric (gotta love that term) first-time mum to be!  I think the sleep deprivation is the thing I'm most dreading, but I'll be able to have coffee again so my machine best get ready for a good hiding  :D  

@Cress I'm at the research stage now(!), last night I was reading reviews on baby bouncers and which were best for sensory development.. definitely give it a few years and I'm sure I'll be like you, ha.

We do have a name in mind but I'll keep that hush until the big reveal  :D  Also, I'm loving the weight guesses, if it helps he's urrr definitely not on the small side so it seems.

Does anyone have any pleasant labour stories to share?  :D 

https://youtu.be/joqjBAJx4ZA

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Best wishes Cher I hope all goes really well. I’d guess 8 pounds 6ozs.

as others have said , make the most of every minute ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,411 Disability Gamechanger
          I had my 1st son at the end of September on a beautiful Sunday morning, I'd been in labour for hours and not realised!! I arrived at the hospital at 3-30am. It was very serene and quiet. My son arrived at 6am, the nurse had opened the window and we could hear the dawn chorus, it was a very easy and quite magical birth even my son decided not to cry but squeaked his 1st breath. 
      Just go with the flow Cher, any discomfort will be forgotten in an instant once your baby is placed in your arms.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    We're going to miss you Chezza, wishing you all the best! :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't know anything about baby weights, or indeed pound conversions...so I'll guess around 5kg?  :#

Thanks for your help & time on here Cher.  Good luck & all the best!   :)
  • janer1967
    Omg @OverlyAnxious that would be one massive baby 11lb it is possible but for cher sake I hope your guess is wrong 
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    edited September 2021
    One more thing...if you've seen three men and a baby, the reaction of all of them when first changing a nappy was definitely realistic and not over acting    :s
    And don't worry too much about the sleep deprivation, you'll surprise yourself on how little you can get by on...but don't refuse any offers to take over!

Brightness