Pregnancy, Lupus and standard rate payments. Should I inform DWP that I'm pregnant? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pregnancy, Lupus and standard rate payments. Should I inform DWP that I'm pregnant?

Leanneroro
Leanneroro Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited September 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all xx just curious to know if i should contact DWP and inform them im pregnant (unplanned but not unwelcomed) i have systemic Lupus as wll as a myriad of spinal issues... im on the standard rate for just the first part.. any advice? thanks so much x

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

No, absolutely not because there's no need to report absolutely all changes. Being pregnant doesn't mean you no longer have your health conditions. Congratulations also!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    I just wanted to send my congratulations to you too @Leanneroro :) How are you feeling about it all?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Dan2three
    Dan2three Community member Posts: 24 Connected
    I would inform pip if the time comes where pregnancy makes your health conditions worse and effects your daily living more. 
  • poppy123456
    Dan2three said:
    I would inform pip if the time comes where pregnancy makes your health conditions worse and effects your daily living more. 
    Why would they need to do that? If there’s any pregnancy related issues it’s likely to be short term which wouldn’t affect their PIP as already advised.
    Even if a person’s condition has got worse this doesn’t mean they will score more points for a higher award.  
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Dan2three
    edited September 2021
    This was advice I was given by pip themselves as currently pregnant and has effects on my conditions. The effects the pregnancy could have on her already spinal issues may not only be short term I know this from experience. 
    My advice was not given on the grounds of assuming they would recieve more points just on grounds that when a conditions worsens you are meant to inform pip. 
    I was not trying to override your advice sorry if you felt that way, was just joining a discussion with extra advice also. 
  • poppy123456
    When you ring PIP/DWP you are ringing a call centre and not DWP their self. They are not benefits advisers and have almost no benefits knowledge. They are reading from a screen. They are the last place a person should go to for such advice. 
    As I advised, a worsening of condition doesn’t mean you need to inform DWP because it doesn’t mean you’re entitled to more points. When you report a change of condition you are sent more forms, which means you risk losing what you already have. You should get expert advice before doing anything else. 
  • Dan2three
    Can i assume you are the expert? the statement (You should get expert advice before doing anything else) maybe should of been issued in your first advice post to leanneroro if you are not, should it not?
  • poppy123456
    I never said i was the expert! What i advised was correct, being pregnant is not classed as change of circumstances that needs to be reported. I've said what i need to say and won't respond any further to your comments.
  • Dan2three
    edited September 2021
    Thank you for that clarification.

[Post edited and content removed by moderator: personal attack]
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Dan2three - I don't believe we've 'met'. This forum is open to everyone talking about their personal experience(s). However, as people read these posts to find out more, then any inaccuracies are corrected to better help along the way.
    Poppy has advised to the best of her extensive benefits knowledge, but sometimes, as she advised, if anyone is contemplating putting in for a change of circumstances, they would benefit from getting some advice local to them, e.g. a Welfare Rights Office, or Citizens Advice. Everyone's circumstances are different....whether they might get additional points to change a current award, the length of such an award, etc. so they should get local expert advice. As stated, pregnancy wouldn't normally be classed as a change of circumstances, however.
    Everyone is welcome here; I'm sorry you feel otherwise. As for Mike, perhaps you'll stick around long enough to find out how he also helps so many of our members.
  • Dan2three
    @mikehughescq
    I do agree I was advice by Pip enquire line (call center) , it was then added to my notes incase further need in the future just to prove how long the extra effects have been in play for as yes I do agree with poppy it needs to be a long term effect. 

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi all

I just wanted to inform everyone that this discussion has now been re-opened, however certain comments have been removed or edited. Please keep in mind our community house rules when posting on the community, and ensure that all conversation remains respectful towards your fellow members.

I hope you have found the replies here helpful @Leanneroro :) 

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Leanneroro
    Leanneroro Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    hey everyone, sorry my road has been having works done and internet is messed up!

so I was curious because, I have systemic lupus, spinal spondylosis, two herniated discs at C level(neck) and two herniated discs at L level (lower spine) I have lupus related seizures too.
    I had my first child 10 years ago before I was ill, but now this lil surprise has come along I'm really feeling the impact on my body already and I'm only 2 months in! the dwp declared me fit to work even though id had a seizure in the car on the way there and could barely form a sentence, i appealed and got the minimum points.. I'm not too worried about the lupus as that will never go away but I'm concerned that my reality during and after this pregnancy is going to have devastating consequences to my spine and mobility as I'm now also 40... I didn't mean to get tempers flaring :( i just get super confused with what i can do.. many thanks all xxx
  • poppy123456
    You can't be found fit for work when applying for PIP because it's not about your ability to work. People claim PIP and work.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.