ESA, Household Income & University Study — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA, Household Income & University Study

DarlingNikki
DarlingNikki Community member Posts: 7 Connected
Hi,
My partner and I are preparing to live together. I have an ESA (combination) award and receive PIP. My partner's thinking of studying at university (full time) next year.
I understand in the meantime, I would lose some ESA for care (think it's called Disability Premium), and it would be replaced with Carer's Allowance - if they were working 16 hours or less and earning less than £120pw?
Does anyone know what the situation would be with ESA with my partner studying; If he receives maintenance and housing grants/loans, and an additional grant for NHS courses? I can't find out much information on how income is counted. 
Many thanks in advance for your support!

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    When you move in with your partner you will need to report the changes to DWP. Your ESA will be recalculated to include the couples rate.
    If you're currently claiming the severe disability premium in with your ESA then you will lose this unless your partner is also claiming a qualifying disability benefit or is registered blind.
    Your partner will not be able to claim carers allowance because those studying full time are unable to claim it. See link.
    https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility (If they are not a student until next year then they will be able to claim carers allowance, providing they care for you for at least 35 hours per week and don't earn more than £128 per week after deductions) 
    Any student maintenance loans your partner receives, regardless of whether they take the loan or not,  will affect any means tested benefits you're claiming.
    If any part of your ESA is Contributions based then this will not be affect and will continue. (£114.10 per week) It may mean that you will only receive the contributions based with nothing added because of the student loan. It's extremely complicated so i'd advise you to get some further expert advice. Start her for that. https://advicelocal.uk/
    Your PIP won't be affected.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • DarlingNikki
    DarlingNikki Community member Posts: 7 Connected
    Thank you so much for your throughout and informative response. I have double checked my ESA award and am currently receiving part Contributions based, so it's great to know where we'll stand. Very grateful for your advice. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    if you claim for help with the rent and council tax reduction then you will also need to report the changes to your local Authority.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.