ESA, Household Income & University Study — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

ESA, Household Income & University Study

DarlingNikki Member Posts: 7 Connected
My partner and I are preparing to live together. I have an ESA (combination) award and receive PIP. My partner's thinking of studying at university (full time) next year.
I understand in the meantime, I would lose some ESA for care (think it's called Disability Premium), and it would be replaced with Carer's Allowance - if they were working 16 hours or less and earning less than £120pw?
Does anyone know what the situation would be with ESA with my partner studying; If he receives maintenance and housing grants/loans, and an additional grant for NHS courses? I can't find out much information on how income is counted. 
Many thanks in advance for your support!


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,844 Disability Gamechanger
    When you move in with your partner you will need to report the changes to DWP. Your ESA will be recalculated to include the couples rate.
    If you're currently claiming the severe disability premium in with your ESA then you will lose this unless your partner is also claiming a qualifying disability benefit or is registered blind.
    Your partner will not be able to claim carers allowance because those studying full time are unable to claim it. See link. (If they are not a student until next year then they will be able to claim carers allowance, providing they care for you for at least 35 hours per week and don't earn more than £128 per week after deductions) 
    Any student maintenance loans your partner receives, regardless of whether they take the loan or not,  will affect any means tested benefits you're claiming.
    If any part of your ESA is Contributions based then this will not be affect and will continue. (£114.10 per week) It may mean that you will only receive the contributions based with nothing added because of the student loan. It's extremely complicated so i'd advise you to get some further expert advice. Start her for that.
    Your PIP won't be affected.

  • DarlingNikki
    DarlingNikki Member Posts: 7 Connected
    Thank you so much for your throughout and informative response. I have double checked my ESA award and am currently receiving part Contributions based, so it's great to know where we'll stand. Very grateful for your advice. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,844 Disability Gamechanger
    if you claim for help with the rent and council tax reduction then you will also need to report the changes to your local Authority.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.

Online employment support

Support to Work is an online and telephone support programme for disabled people who are looking for work.