Awarded LCWRA- does this still include rent element cap? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Awarded LCWRA- does this still include rent element cap?

FBain
FBain Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited September 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
HiI was wondering if now that I have been awarded LCWRA is my rent eLament of universal credit still capped? 
(on universal credit without the LCWRA element I am entitled to £400 pp per month - of which in my area It can only get me a small room usually the cheapest room I can find in the area thus with lots of issues) 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Getting LCWRA makes no difference to which rate of LHA applies to your housing element entitlement.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,329 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Now you have been found to have LCWRA the benefit cap will not apply to you.
    However. help with the rent if you're privately renting will depend on the local housing allowance in the area you live. If you're a single person under the age of 35 you will only be entitled to the shared rate of LHA. You can find out what that is here. https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/
    If you're receiving either daily living PIP or DLA mid/high rate care then you'll be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate of LHA.
    Even if you were entitled to the 1 bedroom rate it may not cover your whole rent, as there is usually a shortfall.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • FBain
    Thanks guys I know that with pip it increases, but I’ve only just had my assessment if I get awarded how do I go about getting the increase? Do I just use my universal credit platform or do I contact the council? 
    Kindest of regards 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,329 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    If you’re awarded the LCWRA element it will be included in your maximum UC entitlement. It is paid from the 4th month of your claim starting from when you first reported your health condition.  It has nothing to do with your local council. 
    If you’re found to have LCWRA then you won’t be affected by the benefit cap.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    FBain said:
    Thanks guys I know that with pip it increases, but I’ve only just had my assessment if I get awarded how do I go about getting the increase? Do I just use my universal credit platform or do I contact the council? 
    Kindest of regards 
    I'm confused - are you now talking about a PIP assessment?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • FBain
    Yes now I’m asking about pip. Apparently you can get a discretionary housing element so you don’t have to be in shared accommodation? 
  • calcotti
    FBain said:
    Yes now I’m asking about pip. Apparently you can get a discretionary housing element so you don’t have to be in shared accommodation? 
    I am assuming that you are single aged below 35. At present this entitles you to the shared room LHA rate (as a maximum).

If you are awarded the Daily Living component of PiP (at either rate) then you will be entitled to the one bedroom LHA rate (as a maximum).

If you are awarded PIP simply let UC know by posting this  information in your journal. if applicable, you will be entitled to the one bedroom rate from the start date of the PIP award so if there is currently a shortfall between the help you get and the rent you pay you will be due arrears of UC from previous months.

A Discretionary Housing payment is completely different and is claimed from your local authority to help cover any shortfall between your rent and the help you get. It is, as the name implies, at the discretion of the local authority.
  • FBain
    Thankyou so much for the information! I will take this on board! 
    Thanks again! 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.