Sleep (or lack of!) — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Sleep (or lack of!)

Options
Sophiejoyce1992
Sophiejoyce1992 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited September 2021 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi everyone, I hope you're well. hopefully this message will make sense as I've been awake since 2am and no longer feel like a fully functioning human being. I'm posting here in the hopes that someone will have the miracle cure for sleep problems. I feel like we've tried everything for my daughter (6) who is diagnosed ASD along with other medical complexities and a hearing impairment. 
I'm waking up with her all through the night every night, putting her back in her own bed and settling her back down. I think the root cause of the issue is separation anxiety, but if we try and go through the process of teaching her to self settle she gets so anxious about it that I begin to feel like I'm somehow torturing her. 
Paediatrician is aware of the sleep issues but wants us to try everything else before prescribing Melatonin which is understandable but also very exhausting and frustrating when all you want is some relief from being so tired ALL OF THE TIME.

Things we've tried/are trying - lavender oil on pillow, milk before bed, relaxing sounds, certain colour light to help stimulate sleep, dehumidifier blowing out lavender oil mist into the room, listening to music, practice runs during the day, reward chart, weighted blanket, a piece of my clothing with my perfume on, the list goes on, I just don't know what else to try.

HELP!
Tagged:

Comments

• MissMarple
    MissMarple Community member Posts: 187 Pioneering
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I don't know if this will be of any help as we are all different and sounds like your daughter is dealing with complex issues, but things that helped me with my sleep:
    - spending as much time outdoors as possible during the day (sunshine helps produce melanin naturally)
    - valerian tea/capsules (obviously ask your doctor about this, it may not be safe/suitable for a child)
    - waking up at a regular time regardless of the (lack of) sleep the night before (this hopefully leads to tiredness later in the evening and makes it easier to fall asleep)
    A lot of physical exercise during the day if she is able to do that may also help.
    I hope you'll find a solution.

• 2021lala_smith86
    2021lala_smith86 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
    Try lavender bath before bed ? hope this helps when my son was younger i gave him one every night as he struggled to sleep (ADHD) he was prescribed melatonin for a few years but now he is older he is not on it anymore his sleep pattern is alot better now even though he does wake up at daft o clock sometimes playing on his phone or computer teenagers today ha ha xx
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Sophiejoyce1992 :) I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's sleep troubles, and how this is affecting you both. 

Scope actually have a sleep service called Sleep Right, so you may want to have a look into that to see if you'd be eligible. 

The lovely Sleep Right team have also put together a series of podcast episodes with some top tips and tricks, which you may find useful. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness