PIP decision and waiting time. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP decision and waiting time.

Options
Faith2008
Faith2008 Community member Posts: 17 Listener
edited September 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi everyone, 
I will be quick, I got covid in 2020 which triggered off my fibromyalgia and I went from healthy walking jogging to bed bound to house bound for nine months. I was able to work from home and awful as it sounds worked everyday from my bed. I did improve and now I was forced back to the office I’m using a walking stick and taking a lot of testing breaks as I can’t stand for very long without suffering for days after. 

When I did the assessment the nurse seemed to be implying that if you are going to work it can’t be that bad. I have more or less been told by my employer if you don’t get in we will get you out so I don’t have a choice but to struggle and spent every bit of time sleeping or in bed to recover when I’m home and weekends. 

Is there anyone who has heard of people claiming PIP still working? 

Sorry I’m very new to this. I was hoping for pip payments to pay for a electric wheelchair to keep my independent but I’m feeling as if maybe fibromyalgia and chronic pain is not as serious as it feels to me. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,181 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Plenty of people claim PIP and work. As long as the work you do doesn’t contradict the reasons why you’re claiming PIP. 
    As you’re still waiting for the decision it would be impossible to predict anything at this point.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Faith2008

Good to see you posting, and sorry to hear of what you've had to go through. 

Regarding your employment, have you discussed reasonable adjustments with your employer? Or the Access to Work scheme? Both of these avenues could provide you with some support in your workplace so that you can make performing your role more manageable.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Faith2008
    Faith2008 Community member Posts: 17 Listener
    Options
    Hello, thank you. The company I work for have said back in March they would put these things in place but never did. The place I work have no time for people with disabilities. It’s said as I have never been out of work but they are I believe trying to make things more difficult. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Hi @Faith2008

In the he Equality Act 2010 (GOV.UK) which replaced the Disability Discrimination Act 1995. It says that disabled people have the right to reasonable adjustments that make jobs, education and services accessible to them. Therefore, your employer should be able to provide you with reasonable adjustments at work. 

Read more on this here.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.