Finished Kemo — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Finished Kemo

Dragonslayer
Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
Yesterday I had my last Kemo therapy session.
It started in March while in the hospital and has been going on now for the last seven months. Now at last no more going to the hospital every few weeks to have a two hour long infusion and just one more blood sample to give at the doctor's next week to check all is OK. I have no idea what will follow. I just hope the last consultation will see me all clear.  
That's one thing out of the way at least, that only leaves all the other problems I have to sort out. Starting hopefully with my hip operation later this year, or early the next. 
All the staff looking after me at the clinic have been great. So I left a thank you card along with a big tin of celebration chocolates. It was the least I could do.    

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,788 Disability Gamechanger
    @Dragonslayer fingers crossed for last consultation.  You can sit back for awhile now, I know its been hard journey I've someone in family going though it all.  I'm sure the chocolates be a  grateful gift received. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    That's great to hear @Dragonslayer - I bet you're glad it's finished with! Hoping everything becomes a bit easier for you. Is it a hip replacement you're having? :)
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Glad it's over and you have got through the treatment fingers crossed for the all clear
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Glad you've completed the main story, just the side missions to complete now! :smiley:
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    That's wonderful news @Dragonslayer :) And it's lovely that you bought them a gift, I'm sure they're very grateful. 

Best of luck with the other treatments! We'll be here for you the whole way.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Dragonslayer

Thanks for your post. Your update really made my day! What amazing news. It must have been a really tough time but as you have proven you are even tougher and are helping to conquer it one day at a time. I can just picture you ringing the hospital bell. Please know that it is understandable that you are worried about the next steps. You will get there though, just continue to put one foot in front of the other. Good luck with your next steps. If there is anything at all that we can do to support you, please just let us know. We are here for you and will support you throughout your journey  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Dragonslayer
    Hi There
    Thanks to all for the kind words. Being on here really does help.
    Thanks again.
    @chiarieds. Yes it is a hip operation I am waiting for. 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Dragonslayer

No worries at all. We all mean the kind words we say. We are wishing you well. I am really glad to hear that the Scope forum helps. How are you today?  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Dragonslayer
    Hi @L_Volunteer
    Thanks for asking.
    After a week of feeling good. (Inside anyway) I am back on the roller coaster and down at the bottom of the curve once more. I have to look ahead and wait to get back to the top. Meantime I hurt quite a lot. 

• Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,808 Disability Gamechanger
    glad its finished good luck on getting your other ailments sorted out, take care 
  • L_Volunteer
    Hi @Dragonslayer

You are welcome. I love your roller coaster analogy! I am sorry to hear you are feeling low at the moment. I hope you feel better soon. Have you got any self-care ideas for dealing with this tough time? Some of my favourite things to do when I need uplifting are listening to music, communicating about how I feel, going for walks and watching television. Is there anything specific we can do to support you?  :) We are here for you

• Dragonslayer
    I've given my last blood sample now and so I just have to wait for the end results.
    At last after many, many months, all the visits to the doctors and hospital are finally over. Now I am hoping to get my other issues looked at.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    You've done brilliantly @Dragonslayer, thanks for the update.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Glad you've completed the main story, just the side missions to complete now! :smiley:
    Lol that’s funny.

Sorry I missed this thread when it came out.

Im glad it’s all over @Dragonslayer and that you can now focus on the other issues. Hopefully there will come a time when there are not any (major) issues to have to focus on at all.
  • Dragonslayer
    I now have another problem to add to my list. 
    I went for a second hearing test yesterday. The lady at Specsavers told me there is something going on in my head. Well DUH!! I knew that. So I am being sent back to the doctor, who will refer me back to ENT again. I feel like a ping pong ball.
    So, no help with the loud buzzing going on inside my head when I was told a hearing aid could help with the issue.
    The buzzing / hissing is 24 seven as well. I sometimes think there is a little devil inside me giving me another problem, just when I think one is being sorted. I also have blood marks on my face as well as my arms now to add to the hair loss from Kemo. 
    Not a good result for anything today.?    
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for the update @Dragonslayer, hopefully you are able to get some answers soon :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness