Been told I don't have enough NI credits to claim ESA, but can't get advance from UC. What can I do? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Been told I don't have enough NI credits to claim ESA, but can't get advance from UC. What can I do?

Options
vickyla88
vickyla88 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi I'm after a bit of advice regarding ESA I've been told I haven't earned enough national insurance credits so I'm not eligible to claim and I also can't get an advance from universal credit. I'm really struggling with only having 20p in my account and my mental health has been affected by all of this. I put in a claim for ESA for my mental health and now I don't know what to do 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Unfortunately if you don't have the ni contributions you are not entitled to esa

Your only option is uc I presume you have applied and waiting for payment 

Have you reported a medical condition in your claim 
  • vickyla88
    Options
    Yes I have applied but I cant get an advance because it has passed the assessment period and yes I did 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    All you can do is wait for the payment unfortunately 

How long is it since you applied 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @vickyla88 - & welcome to the community. I'm sorry to read about your situation, but you might find some help on the following website: https://www.stepchange.org/debt-info/emergency-funding.aspx
    Kindly let us know how you get on, thank you.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @vickyla88 :) Welcome to the community!

I'm also really sorry to hear about the situation you're in. Do you have enough money to cover the essentials, such as food and rent payments? I know you've said you only have 20p, but do you have any supplies in, and has your rent for this month been paid? When do you usually receive your universal credit payment?

Please do take a look at the link that chiarieds has posted. This contains lots of useful information about how to get by for the time being.

In terms of your mental health- is this something you're receiving any support for? Is your GP aware of your situation?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • vickyla88
    Options
    I'm not due a payment until August 14th my GP is aware of mental health issues 
  • Emiwatson123
    Emiwatson123 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I think, the place to take guidance from will be [removed by moderator - advertising link] They can help you in the best possible way.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Emiwatson123 advertising isn't allowed on the community. Why would you advertise a loan company with such ridiculously high interest rates anyway?? This is only going to make a persons situation even worse than it already could be.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Emiwatson123,

I've removed the link from your post, as it appeared to be advertising a service. We don't allow advertising here on the community, as outlined in our house rules
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.