Overpayment of esa — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Overpayment of esa

Options
badbess
badbess Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Just received a letter stating I owe £4000. They are going to take 40% of my ESA for the next two years. Two years ago I received my military pension. I sent DWP a copy of the letter stating how much I would receive etc. This year they asked if it had gone up. I again sent them a copy of my letter. On both occasions the adjusted my payments down. I have sent a letter for mandatory reconsideration asking for an explanation of what happened.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,985 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Hi,

Did your pension increase at anytime between when you started receiving it and when they contacted you again this year? If it did, did you contact them to report those changes when they happened?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • badbess
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Yes I did the increase was £4  a month from the time I informed them. I sent them a copy of the letter following a phone call. Just as I did when it first started. I was very open about my pension. I am both contribution and incomes based ESA. I am in the support group.
  • badbess
    edited September 2021
    Options
    They wrote me two letters after I voluntarily disclosed my pension. One reducing my ESA in line with the pension. Following my second letter after the small rise I received another again reducing the amount. Therefore I have good reason to say they knew. I qualify for both contribution based and income based ESA and in the past this as caused confusion. I keep all copies of letters from DWP and I can confirm I received these letters. Would it be worth doing an SAR in regard to the telephone conversations as I read what the letters said before sending the copies. From bitter experience with PIP I always prepare for the worst in regard to preparing evidence.
  • badbess
    Options
    mikehughescq. Thankyou I suffer from an anxiety disorder and at times can metaphorically. use a hammer when a little finger will do. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.