I've been awarded limited capacity to work. How long do I have to wait to receive my back dated pay? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I've been awarded limited capacity to work. How long do I have to wait to receive my back dated pay?

lewis20
lewis20 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited September 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi I was just wondering if anyone would be able to help I was awarded limited capability of work on the 20th of September the work coach have stated that I will receive my first payment in with next months statement but she’s unsure on what the turn around is for back dated money. Has anyone been in the same position and how long did you wait for a back dated payment from the day you was awarded? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,935 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    HI,
    If the decision is Limited capability for work (LCW) then there's no extra money for this.
    If the decision was Limited capability for work and work related activity (LCWRA) then there's a full 3 month assessment period waiting time. Payments then start from the 4th month of your claim starting from when you first reported a health condition.

Whether you're owed any money will depend on the exact date you reported your health condition and what dates your assessment periods are.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • lewis20
    Yes it must be the LCWA as my work coach said I’m entitled to extra money on my next payment. But I’m just trying to find out how long it normally takes to receive a back pay after you’ve been awarded the extra benefit as I am also due a back pay
  • poppy123456
    lewis20 said:
    Yes it must be the LCWA as my work coach said I’m entitled to extra money on my next payment.
    If a decision's been made then you would have received the decision letter onto your journal. The reason i asked is because work coaches have been known to give incorrect advice.
    If you're owed any money then it often takes a few weeks to receive this because they have to recalculate your old statements to find out exactly how much they owe you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • lewis20
  • lewis20
    Yes I’m a bit confused as nothing has really been explained this is all I have received so far
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    As it is Limited Capability for Work only you will not get any extra money in the calculation of your maximum UC amount.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • lewis20
    This is what I thought but my work coach states that I would get the extra element 
  • poppy123456
    Yes indeed your work coach has given you incorrect advice here. Please take a close look at that first paragragh. Its says "following your work capability assessment we have decided that you have limited capability for work" This is LCW and not LCWRA as you first suggested.
    Unfortunately, this doesn't entitle you to any extra money.
    If you disagree with the decision you can request the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) but before you do this you should get some expert advice to check that you do qualify for LCWRA otherwise it's pointless requesting the MR. For this use this link to see what advice agancy is local to you. https://advicelocal.uk/

• lewis20
    Thanks for your help I will definitely look into it 
  • poppy123456
    Do be aware also that you also be expected to attend appointments with your work coach but this will depend on your claimant commitments.
  • Glaitness
    Glaitness Community member Posts: 22 Connected
    Intresting,I never knew that .LCW,no extra money but might be able to work in the future so can prepare with a work coach .But LCWRA is extra money and no need to look for work .Thankyou for the explantion

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.