A Few Days In Newcastle upon Tyne. Any Recommenda — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

A Few Days In Newcastle upon Tyne. Any Recommenda

Options
oldngrumpy
oldngrumpy Scope Member Posts: 216 Pioneering
A few years ago I went to Edinburgh for Hogmanay by National Express coach.  Coming back on the coach it broke down, so we had to transfer onto another coach. 
Don't ask me why, but I got off mistakingly at Newcastle. I was stranded. Had a panic attack. A lady from National Express Newcastle sorted me overnight accommodation at a Hostel.
The Hostel was lovely, clean and a good atmosphere.
Anyhow, I always vowed to go back to Newcastle upon Tyne one day.

I have just booked a mini weekend break in Newcastle at the same Hostel, mid to late November.

Has anyone been to Newcastle upon Tyne, has anyone got any recommendations.
I do like a couple of bottles of German beer.
But I like to browse shops, without buying anything.

Any recommendations? 
Thank you.

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @oldngrumpy

I have never been to Newcastle unfortunately, however I would love to go one day. 

I found this list of the 10 best things to do in Newcastle, which you might find some of interesting :) Perhaps you could try and catch a concert, or go to a football game?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    I live in Tyne and Wear. Not the specific area of Newcastle Upon Tyne. However, I have obviously been a lot. There’s loads to see and do. @Ross_Scope your missing out!
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,861 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    Options
    My parents were geordies and moved out of New Castle   after the war.  but we spent many a time going back to visit every year. They never lost their accents. I have fond memories of visiting relatives they used to complain they couldn't understand me. We used to go the coast. 
    They've both passed away now and when I hear a geordie accent it's feels kinda homely. I haven't visited Newcastle for many years sadly.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,618 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Eldon square is good for shopping
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    @woodbine yes I was there yesterday morning actually. Still quite quiet though compared to what I am used to. I won’t complaint though, it was easier to get in and out, navigate around and be served in the shops I went in. 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    Options
    I’d recommend seeing Durham cathedral @oldngrumpy, it’s in a really nice position high above a river. There  are a few shops about too and a good fish and chip shop near the centre of Durham, the centre is smaller than I had imagined but nice. Oh yes, you can catch a local train back to Durham which takes about ten minutes tops!

theres also a good flea market at tynemouth railway station on a Sunday morning too, also easy to get to by train.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• TheAlien
    TheAlien Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    Options
    If you have time, jump on the metro and explore the surrounding area.  Sunderland isn't far away and I'd recommend the Winter Gardens there, the coast isn't too far away either with plenty of places to enjoy a beer at the North Shields Fish Quay, Tynemouth or Whitley Bay.
  • littleacorn
    littleacorn Community member Posts: 368 Pioneering
    Options
    As I live not far from Newcastle the Quayside is a popular tourist attraction. There is the Sage and Baltic on the other side of the river just across the Millenium bridge. Plenty of pubs and restaurants for food and a sit down. On Sunday morning there is a market on the Quayside with many stalls selling their goods and food stalls aswell. Great for a look.

Are you staying in the centre of Newcastle or on the outskirts? As a resident Im not aware of any hostels other than thkse for the homeless!
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I used to live 3 miles away from Newcastle city centre, & grew up & studied in the area. Newcastle is great for window shopping, & nearby Jesmond Dene used to be one of my favourite places to go (I have a photo of Jesmond Dene set as my desktop picture).
    I'd endorse the recommendations above......the Quayside, the Millenium Bridge, or get the Metro to Tynemouth, & see the flea market in it's railway station......we sold books there for many years, & I'm pleased to see it's still going.
    Not to mention visit Newcastle's oldest reputed pub, the 'Old George' in the Cloth market, which I visited with my friend in 2017 prior to going to see Brian Wilson (of Beach Boys fame) in Times Square.
    I'm sure you'll enjoy your visit. :)

Brightness