Am I being touchy? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Am I being touchy?

gaynorwishes
gaynorwishes Community member Posts: 5 Connected
Hi I use a walking stick when I need it. But the first time today I didn't use it work. And my manager said to me..no stick? He then said you look better without it

Comments

• oldngrumpy
    oldngrumpy Scope Member Posts: 216 Pioneering
    edited October 2021
    See it as a compliment.
    I cannot criticise I get a little, well no a lot like you like thinking, did they just have a dig at me...
  • TheAlien
    TheAlien Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    I think we can be preconditioned to be a little paranoid about how people view our disabilities, especially when we've had negative comments in the past.

He could just have meant that you were looking better health wise without your stick, as opposed to general appearance and was trying to give you a confidence boost.
  • Reg
    Reg Community member Posts: 109 Pioneering
    I think I would brush it off . When I walked without crutches I got a lot of comments about drunkenness ( I am rather unsteady on my feet so do not walk in a straight line ). Now I use crutches full time I get comments like "not better yet ?". On balance , as a tea total person, I think I preferred the drunk comments 
    Reg

I am a Scope volunteer.
  • hils61
    hils61 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    I can completely understand how you felt, if you, like me have had some negative comments in the past (from doctors and nurses by the way) you are already on the defensive, but for a good reason. 
    I just make a joke of it and say "I don't need it really I just like the company" most people laugh lol
  • gaynorwishes
    gaynorwishes Community member Posts: 5 Connected
    Hi thank you for your replies. I appreciate it. Lots of hugs too you all xx

Brightness