Would closing my credits only ESA claim affect PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Would closing my credits only ESA claim affect PIP?

Options
Jackrussell
Jackrussell Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I applied for ESA and was awarded credits only as I had not worked for a few years.   I ended this claim after 2 weeks as I decided it was not worth the hassle as I would have to comply with all the medicals and my objective is to get better.  I felt that this would only increase my anxiety and stress levels.  I also get PIP and I wondering would closing the claim effect PIP.  I was awarded PIP for 10 years.    I had been on ESA for 1 year and had been offered a job but unfortunately it did not work as I was not fit out and I thought the one year in ESA would have contributed on having paid enough credits but it was not the case. 
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,237 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,
    Ending your ESA claim will not affect your PIP because they are 2 different benefits with totally different criteria. The NI credits from claiming ESA are not enough to be entitled to New style ESA because you will have need to have worked as well during the 2 previous tax years prior to your claim, which would be April 2018 to March 2020.
    Have you looked at claiming Universal Credit? It's replaced all the old income Related benefits so whether you're entitled to anything will depend on your circumstances. If you live with a partner you claim as a couple. If you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 you're excluded from claiming. If you are entitled then you should report your health condition and send it fit notes from your GP to start the work capability assessment process off (which is the same process as ESA) Use a benefits calculator to check entitlement. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=b4ac029e-3480-413f-b9e1-c64c46ed592b

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have you checked your NI record and how many years of credits/contributions you need in order to get a full pension?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.