Hi, my name is DouwCan I ask my employer for a work from home position? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is DouwCan I ask my employer for a work from home position?

DouwP
DouwP Community member Posts: 9 Listener
edited October 2021 in Work and employment
Goo day, I’m new to this. I wonder if anyone can give me advise, Im a 52 year old man and I have fibromyalgia. Im currently booked off sick as I am awaiting a back procedure. Im currently doing a standing job, but I dont think I would be able to return doing that. I dont think my current job will be able to do adjustments to where I work. Can I ask my employer to offer me a work from home position?

Tagged:

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @DouwP

Welcome to the community, it's nice to see you join us.

As part of your job, you could ask your employer to make adaptations to enable you to do your job, such as home-working or providing equipment that would help you. If your job is one that can't be done from home at all then of course that may be a struggle, but there's never any harm in discussing with them how you are feeling and trying to come to some sort of arrangement.

Are they aware of how your condition is impacting you?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • DouwP
    Hello Ross,

Thank you for your reply, yes my work know of my condition. I have been working there for 14 years and my condition has became worse in the last 4 years. 

Financially it’s becoming worse as Im only on ssp, I did applied for pip but its been taking so long. Is there any advice to speed up the process please?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Unfortunately pip claims are taking around 10 months to complete 

As for requesting home work it is something you can discuss do your company have any home work opportunities 
    It may be worth asking to be referred to oh for a work place assessment.  They can then make recommendations for any suitable adjustments which could include home working

On financial side I would suggest using a benefits calculator found on gov website to see if there is any benefit available to you 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @DouwP

Welcome to Scope's forum. It is great to see you have joined us. Unfortunately, I don't have any other advice to give you because @Ross_Scope and @janer1967 are amazing and have already provided you with all the advice I would have given. However, I just wanted to confirm whether the advice has helped to reassure you about your next steps? Do you need anything to be clarified? I can fully empathise with the pain of living with fibromyalgia as I also have fibromyalgia. I hope you can start to feel more comfortable soon. The only other thing I can suggest is that you may also benefit from our discussion sections called dealing with chronic pain and employment and careers. If you are interested, you can find them at https://forum.scope.org.uk/categories/chronicpain and https://forum.scope.org.uk/categories/employment

If there is anything else that we can do to support you, please do not hesitate to let us know  :)

Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • DouwP
    Thanks so much! I will definitely look into thank.

thank you for the warm welcome ? 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @DouwP

You are very welcome. I am glad you feel our advice was useful and that you had a warm welcome. Best of luck moving forwards and if you do ever need anything, please do not hesitate to give us a shout  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness