awarded sdp, and am getting an arrears payment of over £16,000. What would happen if I claimed UC? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

awarded sdp, and am getting an arrears payment of over £16,000. What would happen if I claimed UC?

pabab22
pabab22 Community member Posts: 49 Connected
hi I was awarded SDP and I'm getting an arrears payment of over 16000, I am on income-related ESA, I am looking to move home and understand that if I get my own place and living alone I would need to claim UC for HB, will this be classed as savings by universal credit or will it be disregarded, from what I have read arrears payments of over 16000 would be disregarded till the end of my ESA claim but what would happen if I claimed UC? any answers would be great thank you!   
Tagged:

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    I think the applicable disregard is 12 months from the date you received the payment.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    If you're currently claiming housing benefit, you only need to claim UC if you move to a different Local Authority. If you stay within the same Local Authority you can continue with housing benefit.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • pabab22
    thank for the reply @calcotti @poppy123456 i am not currently on housing benefit, so would that mean i have to make a claim for UC thank you for reply! 
  • poppy123456
    Yes a claim for UC would be needed if you need to claim for help with the rent.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    Are you on just means-tested ESA or is there a contribution based element? Asking because, if there were, you could retain that and claim HB without claiming UC albeit with a drop in income.
      Unless the OP is moving into Supported/sheltered or temporary housing, surely you can't make a new claim for HB?
  • pabab22
    hi @Username_removed thanks for your reply im not sure, I'm in the support group does contribution mean you pay ni contributions? not sure if I have any contribution-based element? 
  • poppy123456
    Are you on just means-tested ESA or is there a contribution based element? Asking because, if there were, you could retain that and claim HB without claiming UC albeit with a drop in income.
      Unless the OP is moving into Supported/sheltered or temporary housing, surely you can't make a new claim for HB?
    DOH. Sunday morning. 

Haha no worries. I thought i was going completely crazy ;)
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2021
    pabab22 said:
    hi @Username_removed thanks for your reply im not sure, I'm in the support group does contribution mean you pay ni contributions? not sure if I have any contribution-based element? 

It makes no difference because as advised, you can't make a new claim for housing benefit unless you're going to be living in either Supported/sheltered or temporary housing. Please ignore Mike's comment, as indicated here, he wasn't thinking correctly...
    DOH. Sunday morning. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.