Universal credit - worried sick about losing £20 a week, especially with rising prices — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal credit - worried sick about losing £20 a week, especially with rising prices

nickibe
nickibe Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited October 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Am i the only person that is worried sick how to manage with losing the £20 a week loss on UC, especially with everything going up in price and the rise in fuel prices.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    I suspect you're not the only person. I claim the legacy benefits still so i missed out on the increase.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • nickibe
    I'm gonna miss it as i don't get much money anyway everything price wise has risen so high but not the money we get.
  • poppy123456
    It's been the same with benefits for many many years.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • nickibe
    I don't know what the legacy benefit is.
  • poppy123456
    Legacy benefits include Income Related ESA/JSA, Income Support.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Same here, I never got it either as I’m on legacy benefits. It will be hard but the only advice I can give is, budget wisely and make sure your getting the best deal for everything. 
  • nickibe
    Well. I read this morning that the goverment are going to cap the fuel bills so thats a worry off my mind.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    nickibe said:
    Well. I read this morning that the goverment are going to cap the fuel bills so thats a worry off my mind.
    There has been a fuel cap for several years. Everyone on a variable contract is now paying the capped price. The cap will almost certainly rise again in six months.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Community member Posts: 542 Pioneering
    Do exactly the same as you did before the government gave you an extra £20 a week.

Can’t quite do exactly the same though, not now everything is increasing in price. For some people, it will be the case of food or heating
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    The extra £20 a week was originally for 12 months then it was extended for another 6 months, the total cost has been £9 billion and obviously that couldn't continue.

Like many others I never got the £20 as i'm on a legacy benefit, there is a lot of talk about energy price rises, they won't hit most of us till next April, if at all.

Agreed prices in the shops are going up, we aren't used now to inflation, so now is the time to shop smarter, there are a number of groups on facebook to help you do that, and I won't bore you with the details, but it can be done.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• calcotti
    edited October 2021
    woodbine said:
    ...there is a lot of talk about energy price rises, they won't hit most of us till next April, if at all.
    Many people have just experienced a significant rise.

woodbine said:
    The extra £20 a week was originally for 12 months then it was extended for another 6 months, the total cost has been £9 billion and obviously that couldn't continue.
    Not obvious at all - public spending involves making choices.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    woodbine said:
     there is a lot of talk about energy price rises, they won't hit most of us till next April, if at all.

They've hit me already with an increase from £83 to £107 DD per month and no, i'm not in arrears either, infact they owe me £70.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Mine tried to increase mine from £65 to £85 and I was over £100 in credit 

I rang and made an agreement to go to £75 

Then had email to say not to panic about increase in prices as they had stockpile of energy they bought in advance so increases would have little effect 
  • poppy123456
    Are you on a smart meter? It may help to keep the costs down.

Yes i am.
  • poppy123456
    janer1967 said:
    Mine tried to increase mine from £65 to £85 and I was over £100 in credit 

I rang and made an agreement to go to £75 

Then had email to say not to panic about increase in prices as they had stockpile of energy they bought in advance so increases would have little effect 

Thanks janer, i think i will do the same. I must admit i was very shocked at such a huge increase.
  • woodbine
    The energy prices that are in the news are mostly about the massive rise in the wholesale price of gas, this if it continues will affect the price cap when its next assessed in April 2022, as for the £6 billion a year cost of the £20 uplift it would be difficult in coming years especially if UC goes up inline with increasing inflation and in 20 years time who knows what it would be costing? It's not as simple as a choice in how you spend public money, thats an over simplification.
    What we are seeing is utility companies increasing direct debits to fill their coffers before many of them go to the wall, if you aren't in debt to them refuse these increases.

• calcotti
    edited October 2021
    woodbine said:
    The energy prices that are in the news are mostly about the massive rise in the wholesale price of gas, this if it continues will affect the price cap when its next assessed in April 2022, 
    The price cap is, as you say, predicted to rise again in April but rose last week, by about 12%, so many people are affected by price rises now. This follows the 9% rise last April and is the first time since it was introduced in 2019 that the price cap has risen twice in one year.
    woodbine said:
    What we are seeing is utility companies increasing direct debits to fill their coffers before many of them go to the wall, if you aren't in debt to them refuse these increases.
    That is undoubtedly true.
    woodbine said:..as for the £6 billion a year cost of the £20 uplift it would be difficult in coming years especially if UC goes up inline with increasing inflation and in 20 years time who knows what it would be costing? 
    That is unknown for all items of expenditure, whether government or personal. The hope is that income can rise with expenditure - which doesn’t get away from the fact that choices can be made about how to spend (although the choices for those on low incomes are exceedingly hard to make).
  • Jona
    Jona Community member Posts: 44 Connected
    Legacy benefits include Income Related ESA/JSA, Income Support.
    Sounds like youve been on it for a while...
  • woodbine
    I will concede one thing in this argument, the £20 a week is spent, be it online, in store or on energy, unlike the better off who would only save it, so effectively by removing the uplift the govt is removing £6 billion a year from the economy.
    I know people who have now lost £20 a week and I know others who never got it but should have.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.