Should i update pip as I've been forced to leave my job? — Scope | Disability forum

Should i update pip as I've been forced to leave my job?

teddyjohn89 Member Posts: 25 Listener
edited October 12 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello my condition has forced me to leave my job due to being diagnosed with a new illness split personality disorder. I have spoken with my mental health worker. Would it be worth reporting or will it make things worse than you 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,677 Disability Gamechanger
    This is not classed as a change of circumstances that needs reporting because PIP isn't about your ability to work and neither is it about a diagnosis.
    Before reporting any changes you need to get some expert advice because otherwise you could risk losing what you already have. PIP is about your ability to complete daily acitivities based on the PIP descriptors.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 11,001 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @teddyjohn89 - it's good to hear from you again, tho I'm sorry you've had to leave your job. As far as PIP goes, you don't have to report a new diagnosis, or any worsening of symptoms unless it's felt that you may get awarded sufficiently more points which would increase your award. With this 'change of circumstances' your whole award would be looked at again, with you needing to complete another PIP claim form, & have an assessment. Before doing this, you should get some expert advice, as there's a risk your award could also decrease. Please try here to see where you might get such advice from:    selecting 'Welfare benefits' from the drop down menu.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Posts: 6,575

    Scope community team

    I hope the above comments have been helpful @teddyjohn89 :) 

    Is your mental health support worker helping you to manage this new diagnosis? 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to tell us how we're doing? Complete our feedback form now.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.