Should i update pip as I've been forced to leave my job? — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Should i update pip as I've been forced to leave my job?

teddyjohn89 Member Posts: 25 Listener
edited October 12 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello my condition has forced me to leave my job due to being diagnosed with a new illness split personality disorder. I have spoken with my mental health worker. Would it be worth reporting or will it make things worse than you 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,781 Disability Gamechanger
    This is not classed as a change of circumstances that needs reporting because PIP isn't about your ability to work and neither is it about a diagnosis.
    Before reporting any changes you need to get some expert advice because otherwise you could risk losing what you already have. PIP is about your ability to complete daily acitivities based on the PIP descriptors.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 10,531 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @teddyjohn89 - it's good to hear from you again, tho I'm sorry you've had to leave your job. As far as PIP goes, you don't have to report a new diagnosis, or any worsening of symptoms unless it's felt that you may get awarded sufficiently more points which would increase your award. With this 'change of circumstances' your whole award would be looked at again, with you needing to complete another PIP claim form, & have an assessment. Before doing this, you should get some expert advice, as there's a risk your award could also decrease. Please try here to see where you might get such advice from:    selecting 'Welfare benefits' from the drop down menu.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Posts: 5,996

    Scope community team

    I hope the above comments have been helpful @teddyjohn89 :) 

    Is your mental health support worker helping you to manage this new diagnosis? 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.