National Treasure? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

National Treasure?

leeCal
leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
Hi, just wondering if you could vote for someone to be called a national treasure who would it be and perhaps why.

They  could be living or not, just as you please.

Two  on my list would definitely be Norman Wisdom and I think Joanna Lumley. Norman because he was a lovable fool, on screen anyway, Joanna because she’s just so classy don’t you think?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
― Dalai Lama XIV

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    @leecal Norman was one of my all time favourites in fact he still is, but I think for her almost 70 years of dedication to this country and the institution that is our monarchy I would have to put the Queen at the top of my list, she is quite simply the best.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @leeCal I have always liked Norman wisdom just makes me laugh to just see him 

Another for me would be Barbara Wundsor especially for her campaigning in later life 

But my top has to be Princess Diana and how she interacted with charities and adopted causes like aids,  homeless
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Neil Fitzpatrick, the vet.
    For all the work he does and the lengths he'll go to help poorly sick pets.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I've never watched Norman Wisdom. I will have to try to find some clips with him in as I like old comedy.

My vote would go to who I will call the "unsung heroes" - not famous people - perhaps a hard working nurse or a long serving soldier but someone who has gone above and beyond and has done a lot of good. I don't think someone has to be famous or high ranking to be valuable to the country. :)

If I had to choose a famous person...Alan Turing...I think he potentially shortened the war by several years and saved millions of lives on both sides :)
  • TheAlien
    TheAlien Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    I wasn't a fan of Norman Wisdom, I'm not a fan of slapstick, but I did think it was very sad when after his death, I read a story that said that he had had to learn how to fall without injuring himself to avoid being injured when he was assaulted by his abusive father.

As for national treasures, Alan Turing would get my vote.  I think the way he was treated after all the work he did at Bletchley was just appalling, they drove him to his death just for being gay.  But I'd also vote for those quietly working in the background who ask for no accolades just for doing their job.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    66Mustang said:
    I've never watched Norman Wisdom. I will have to try to find some clips with him in as I like old comedy.

My vote would go to who I will call the "unsung heroes" - not famous people - perhaps a hard working nurse or a long serving soldier but someone who has gone above and beyond and has done a lot of good. I don't think someone has to be famous or high ranking to be valuable to the country. :)

If I had to choose a famous person...Alan Turing...I think he potentially shortened the war by several years and saved millions of lives on both sides :)
    Two recommendations film "Trouble in store" which feature Norman singing "don't laugh at me", and on you tube the 1961 Palladium  episode that due to strike action features only Norman and Bruce Forsyth, a TV classic.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness