Pip report back today. They've lied about everything. Does the DM go with the report? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip report back today. They've lied about everything. Does the DM go with the report?

Shelly118
Shelly118 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
edited September 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hey ? I got my pip report back today they have lied about everything so if the cm goes with that I will score 0 on every single section 
My question is do they go with the assessor and their report or do they actually read the forms and make an independent decision 
The only evidence I had was a prescription and statements of myself and my partner who is with me 24/ 7 
I cried the whole way through my assessment and needed lots of prompts but the assessor seems to have concluded that I have a car so I can drive and plan a journey ( I have driven 6 times in 5 years due to the difficulties it causes) and I have a bank account so I can do everything independently and have no mental health or physical health issues I'm really fed up and stressed because of it 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

The dm looks at all the evidence but in most cases goes with the report but there ars times they don't 

You can always submit more detail around what you think should be considered before the decision is made 

Withold from saying there are lies just point out what you think should be considered from your own perspective 
  • Shelly118
    Thankyou, would you suggest doing notes etc because I don't agree with any of it , I still won't have any evidence other then what myself and my partner has said and my prescription though 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Hey @Shelly118

Thanks for reaching out to us. Sorry to hear you are experiencing such a tough time at the moment with PIP. The process sounds really frustrating for you. In response to your question, the Citizen's advice (https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/before-claiming/check-you-are-eligible/) states "PIP is not based on the condition you have or the medication you take. It is based on the level of help you need because of how your condition affects you. You're assessed on the level of help you need with specific activities. It's hard to say if the level of help you need will qualify you for PIP. But, if you get or need help with any of the following because of your condition, you should consider applying: Preparing and cooking food, eating and drinking, managing your treatments, washing and bathing, managing toilet needs or incontinence, dressing and undressing, communicating with other people, reading and understanding written information, mixing with others, making decisions about money, planning a journey or following a route or moving around. The help you get may be from a person, an aid (such as a walking stick or guide dog) or an adaptation to your home or car". In summary, if you can provide evidence that you experience any of these difficulties, you should be considered for PIP. I am just wondering if your partner receives carers allowance? That could support your application as it is a form of evidence that your partner supports you with managing your difficulties. I hope this helps! However, PIP is not my area of expertise and I am hoping someone with more knowledge in this area can respond to you. I mostly wanted to respond to you to say I am sorry to hear that you feel so invalidated by the assessors. Please know, we believe you, we hear you and we are here for you. I hope things improve for you soon. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to us again  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Shelly118
    Thankyou I have to have help in all of those areas but the assessor lied and the pip descriptor points are saying 0 on all sections 
  • janer1967
    @L_Volunteerthe op has already applied had the assessment and had a copy of the report 

@Shelly118

Just go through the report and give bullet points on the descriptors you think that factors haven't been taken into account eg the driving for one 

You don't need to provide more evidence the best is your account and that of someone who sees you and supports you doing the tasks 

Of course you could wait for the decision to see as they may not go with the report 

If you then want to appeal you can do so 
  • Shelly118
    Thankyou ever so much I will do that and wait for the decision letter then take it from there do you know the appeal process so I know what to expect please I have bad anxiety and it is already getting to me 
  • janer1967
    The first form of appeal is to do a mandatory reconsideration (mr) 

Do this in writing within 1 month of the decision going through each descriptor which you disagree with giving real examples of what happens when you try and do the task 

Your award is then looked at by a different dm and a decision is made you don't have another assessment 

Success rate is around 50% currently 

If your Mr isn't successful you can then take it to tribunal 
  • Shelly118
    Do you have a address where I would send it to please 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks @janer1967. I was aware but it just makes me sad that the assessor was invalidating  :( I am hoping @Shelly118 can follow-up with them, like you said, with factors or evidence which were not taken into account in the assessment. This might prompt a re-assessment or an appeal's process and may change the final outcome. As Citizen's Advice (https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/appeals/mandatory-reconsideration/) states "If you disagree with the decision that's been made about your PIP claim, you can challenge it. You can challenge the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) decision about PIP if: you didn't get it, you got a lower rate than you expected or you think your award isn't long enough. The best way to apply for a reconsideration is to use the CRMR1 mandatory reconsideration request form (which you can find at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/challenge-a-decision-made-by-the-department-for-work-and-pensions-dwp) or write a letter to the DWP explaining why you disagree with the decision. You can call the DWP to ask for a reconsideration, but it's better to have everything in writing. If you decide to call, make sure you follow up with a letter. The contact details will be on the decision letter from DWP. Check the date on your decision letter. You need to ask for a mandatory reconsideration within 1 month of that date. If you use the form or send a letter, the DWP will need to receive it within 1 month". You can find more information and several examples on the Citizen's Advice link. I hope this helps! But if you need clarification about anything, please do not hesitate to tell us  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • janer1967
    It's the same address where you sent your form to sorry I don't know it 

If you are waiting for the decision letter details will be in there pm how to appeal 

If you send anything make sure you put your name and Nat ins number on every page 

It may take a while to get a decision anything up to 3 months 
  • L_Volunteer
    edited September 2021
    And yes @Shelly118, I would still recommend writing detailed examples of where you do not feel the assessor took into account your needs. A template you could use if you wish is that "the report from my assessment states I don't need any aids or help to X. This is untrue. I can't X - I can only Y and I need Z support/aids" or "the report from my assessment states I don't need any aids or help to X. This is untrue. I can do X but it leaves me feeling Y and unable to do Z". I hope this is useful  :)

• Shelly118
  • Shelly118
    Thankyou to the both of you 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,356 Disability Gamechanger
    And yes @Shelly118, I would still recommend writing detailed examples of where you do not feel the assessor took into account your needs. A template you could use if you wish is that "the report from my assessment states I don't need any aids or help to X. This is untrue. I can't X - I can only Y and I need Z support/aids" or "the report from my assessment states I don't need any aids or help to X. This is untrue. I can do X but it leaves me feeling Y and unable to do Z". I hope this is useful  :)

I disagree with this. Telling them you can't do X because of Y isn't going to help anyone get a PIP award amd you then end up going round in circles.
    Firstly what you need to do is put the report away and forget about it because it won't get you a PIP award. What will help is giving a couple of real world examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. Adding information such as where it happened, who (if anyone) seen it, what exactly happened and what were the consequences. You should aim for at least one side of A4 paper per descriptor.
    During the assessment the HCP isn't there to write everything you say verbatim, if they were there would be no point in having the assessments in the first place. They are there to gather more evidence and form their opinion which is then written in the report.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Shelly118
    Thankyou poppy I know the report won't give me a decision and I will do as you said because I have daily occurrences on every section but the assessor didn't listen to me and rushed me and prompted me lots of times throughout the assessment 
  • Maybeimcrazy
    Maybeimcrazy Community member Posts: 48 Connected
    Hi @Shelly118 who did your assessment report ? I only ask because mine was a paramedic and I'm asking because i feel it should be a proper health care/doctor hope your well also xx 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Shelly118 who did your assessment report ? I only ask because mine was a paramedic and I'm asking because i feel it should be a proper health care/doctor hope your well also xx 
    Many assessors are paramedics. The assessment is about how your health affects your ability to carry out the specified activities - it is not a medical examination.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Maybeimcrazy
    Maybeimcrazy Community member Posts: 48 Connected
    Are they qualified to do such a job? And via phone call though. I think thats a easy way out of people doing the right job, sorry I'm not good with wording things sometimes but I've sent gp to MR today with letters off my sister and partner i just feel they are not as fully qualified as a doctor woube if that makes sense xx 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,356 Disability Gamechanger
    Are they qualified to do such a job? And via phone call though. I think thats a easy way out of people doing the right job, sorry I'm not good with wording things sometimes but I've sent gp to MR today with letters off my sister and partner i just feel they are not as fully qualified as a doctor woube if that makes sense xx 

They do not need to be qualified. PIP is not about a diagnosis and they don't need to have any knowledge about any conditions. As advised, it's not a medical assessment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    Paramedics doing assessments does seem a little odd though.  Their job is to deal with emergencies in the present.  They'll see much worse, but short term, problems every day.  Rather than seeing the long term functional impact caused by more 'minor' conditions.  Their perception of daily ability is likely to be affected by that.  While I don't agree that every assessment should be done by someone with experience in the claimants area, I do believe that the assessments will vary considerably depending on the assessors day job and experience.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.