PIP award length dispute — Scope | Disability forum

PIP award length dispute

Deedaley Member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi i am new to this forum and looking for advice please
I have just been awarded PIP for the first time, I have been awarded standard for daily living and enhanced for mobility
the assessor recommended i receive the award for 1 year 6 months, however they have awarded it for 20 months.
When I applied I sent in a consultant letter saying in his opinion my prognosis would not get better and a doctors letter stating because of the pain I suffer I cannot walk far.
From my understanding any award under 2 years I have to start the whole process again, where as over 2 years it is reviewed.
Should I request a mandatory reconsideration for the award length as I’m really unsure how they came to this decision.
As I have said this is all new to me so I would like to make sure I get it right so any advice is greatly welcomed 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,477 Disability Gamechanger
    Your award will be reviewed in the same way as others are reviewed but all claims should be classed as a new claim by all claimants anyway. A review doesn't mean you won't have another assessment. The only difference between a new claim and a review is the review forms are slightly shorter.
    Yes, you can request the MR based on the award length only but you should mention that you are happy with the award itself and it's just the length you're challenging.
    A Consultants letter that just says you won't get any better isn't really evidence.
    There are other threads on here related to the award length only so please use the search function to find them.
    Before requesting the MR you should get some expert advice from an agency near you. Start here for this.https://advicelocal.uk/

  • Deedaley
    Deedaley Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi thank you for the advice much appreciated 


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.