Can you introduce the effects of a new condition to a PIP application at the MR stage? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can you introduce the effects of a new condition to a PIP application at the MR stage?

Options
Andywheels56
Andywheels56 Community member Posts: 45 Connected
edited October 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello again

Can you introduce the effects of a new condition to a pip application at the MR stage. The original application centred on a lack of motivation caused by tinnitus. However, after having blood work done over the last 4 months my doctor says I am suffering from arthritis in my hands and arms and has referred me to rheumatology for assessment. 

Comments

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you’ve got a new condition, or a condition that has changed you’d have to request a change of circumstances or if you have no award you’d have to reapply. It’s based on how you was at the original assessment. No harm telling them but they’ll make the remark of re-applying.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,042 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    PIP is not awarded based on any diagnosis. As you said your claim is based around how the tinnitus affects you then i'm assuming your arthritis didn't affect you a great deal if you didn't mention any of the symptoms on your original claim? If this is correct then your new condition and how it may affect you will not be considered.
    I note from previous threads that you were previously refused PIP, has this new claim also been refused, which is the reason for the MR? Or were you awarded something and just not happy with the award?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Andywheels56
    Andywheels56 Community member Posts: 45 Connected
    Options
    The arthritis is a new condition and was not mentioned in the pip application. You are correct poppy, this is the second time I have applied for pip, and the second time I have scored 0 points on all activities within the pip descriptors. Have now requested a MR of the original decision, before taking it to tribunal. Had no problem getting N/S ESA support group with my condition but I'm finding this pip benefit a hard nut to crack. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,042 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    PIP and ESA are 2 completely different benefits, with totally different criteria. You can have a disability but not qualify for PIP because if you don't fit the descriptors, you won't score the points needed for an award. You can't make the descriptors fit you, you either qualify or you don't.
    Expert advice is needed to check whether you qualify because if you don't then it doesn't matter how many times you apply, you will continue to be refused. Start here. https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.