I have asthma. Am I entitled to PIP? — Scope | Disability forum

I have asthma. Am I entitled to PIP?

koysur Member Posts: 5 Listener
edited October 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello everyone


  • koysur
    koysur Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hello everyone need help I have been suffering from asthma about 5 years I can't sleep in flat pillow as it triggers my asthma I'm having early morning asthma attacks every day I can't take the smell of bleach perfume as it triggers my asthma attacks I can't breath in cold air as it triggers my asthma attacks I need to breeth through my nose slowly and keep my mouth closed at all times I can't take big breath like a normal person am I entitled to pip
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 12,265 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @koysur - & welcome to the community. I'm sorry about the difficulties you have with asthma; have you spoken to your GP if you feel this is worsening?
    About PIP, it's not about any diagnosis, but how your disability may affect certain activities, or descriptors, in daily living, &/mobility. It's just day time activities, so your problems sleeping during the night would not be taken into account. It's also how you are the majority of the time.
    Please have a look at the following link about these PIP descriptors, & do then come back with any questions. Please see: https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/Personal-Independence-Payment-Descriptors-and-Scores-April-2021.pdf
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Posts: 8,164

    Scope community team

    Welcome to the community @koysur :) It's great to have you with us.

    Thanks for sharing a bit about your situation. I'd definitely second chiarieds' advice to take a look at the PIP descriptors and key terms to see if you might be entitled to PIP. Please do let us know if there's anything you're unsure about, or if you have any further questions. 

    Just to let you know, I've renamed your post, and moved it into the PIP category, so that other members will be able to find it more easily.
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to tell us how we're doing? Complete our feedback form now.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.