I haven' told my doctor about PIP and I'm super nervous, what do I do? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I haven' told my doctor about PIP and I'm super nervous, what do I do?

tazzy_956
tazzy_956 Community member Posts: 15 Connected
edited October 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi, 
I completed my PIP form to the best of my ability and I need to get supporting evidence from a health professional and the GP would be the first port of call. Over the years, I've been to the doctors but never fully confided to them the reality of my mental health due to again extreme embarrassment and shame. I still feel like I should be able to do everything by myself and feel immense guilt that I am such a big burden to the people around me. I think this comes from the bullying and treatment I get when I have disclosed that I get benefits to certain family members and ex-friends and their reactions towards it. I know I am not a burden but can't help that I am as I fear the same reaction from the doctor as I got from my relatives and former friends. I feel petrified but I know I have to as I am struggling with money and need the extra support. Any advice to calm my nerves? 
I would very much appreciate it :)

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,613 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

A GP's letter isn't going to be helpful if the GP doesn't already have background info about you and your daily life.  You'd be much better off concentrating on writing your own evidence giving examples of the tasks in the descriptors.

Any close family/friends that are having to help you could also write a supporting letter stating what they have to do for you and what would happen if they didn't etc.  Much more useful for PIP than a GP letter.  :)
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

You don't need to inform your gp you have applied for pip

As above if you haven't discussed the issue you have reported on your PIP form with your gp then any information they send won't include this 

Gp letters are not always helpful as they never see you perform the tasks 

Best evidence is your own real examples 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,609 Disability Gamechanger
    Have to agree that a letter from a GP is less than useful in most cases, and the DWP will rarely if ever seek evidence from them.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• tazzy_956
    tazzy_956 Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    @bekindalways
    I agree with everything you said and I didn't know you could write anecdotal evidence for your PIP claim. I guess me and my sister could write both our perspectives on paper and send it. I've asked my counselor to provide evidence as she is the only professional I have confided in about everything and that was just the tip of the iceberg. Your post has helped me to consider telling other professionals about my life and mental illness, even though it is scary. Thank you for your kindness and courage, I don't think I could disclose and do what you did. I admire you!
    Thank you for the post, it really helped :) 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.