I haven' told my doctor about PIP and I'm super nervous, what do I do? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

I haven' told my doctor about PIP and I'm super nervous, what do I do?

tazzy_956
tazzy_956 Member Posts: 15 Listener
edited October 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi, 
I completed my PIP form to the best of my ability and I need to get supporting evidence from a health professional and the GP would be the first port of call. Over the years, I've been to the doctors but never fully confided to them the reality of my mental health due to again extreme embarrassment and shame. I still feel like I should be able to do everything by myself and feel immense guilt that I am such a big burden to the people around me. I think this comes from the bullying and treatment I get when I have disclosed that I get benefits to certain family members and ex-friends and their reactions towards it. I know I am not a burden but can't help that I am as I fear the same reaction from the doctor as I got from my relatives and former friends. I feel petrified but I know I have to as I am struggling with money and need the extra support. Any advice to calm my nerves? 
I would very much appreciate it :)

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Member Posts: 1,721 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

A GP's letter isn't going to be helpful if the GP doesn't already have background info about you and your daily life.  You'd be much better off concentrating on writing your own evidence giving examples of the tasks in the descriptors.

Any close family/friends that are having to help you could also write a supporting letter stating what they have to do for you and what would happen if they didn't etc.  Much more useful for PIP than a GP letter.  :)
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 13,317 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

You don't need to inform your gp you have applied for pip

As above if you haven't discussed the issue you have reported on your PIP form with your gp then any information they send won't include this 

Gp letters are not always helpful as they never see you perform the tasks 

Best evidence is your own real examples 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 6,078 Disability Gamechanger
    Have to agree that a letter from a GP is less than useful in most cases, and the DWP will rarely if ever seek evidence from them.
    Be kind to newer members
  • bekindalways
    bekindalways Member Posts: 134 Courageous
    @tazzy_956 Hello Tazzy, so sorry you're feeling like this. A couple of suggestions may help you.  I know when I speak to my go practice, I've always asked the receptionist which doctor has experience with mental health issues. I had a wonderful one for 7 years until she retired. They placed me with another one who is equally if not a bit better at understanding my issues. Burying it from others won't help your recovery as all you will do is bottle it up. So please consider maybe requesting a doctor who understands. As for hiding it from people, I did the same for many years and even up until a few years ago when I said, 'No more' so I sat down with those who I respected and cared about and explained my illness to them. The response was amazing and they didn't judge. As for my family, I disowned them 12 years ago. I had a big family who were less than sympathetic and I realised that they were impeding my recovery. I've never looked back. I'm not suggesting that you do the same, but only letting you know that I fully understand where you're coming from.

People can be cruel and unkind because they don't understand. You'll find some wonderful people on here and there's always someone there to just have a natter.  But please please please don't think you're alone.

As for the PIP form. If need be and before you send it, do you maybe have another family member or friend that can add some Anecdotal evidence in the form of a letter, which gives their take on how you live from day to day as a result of your illness? My hubby wrote a page worth and tbh it was heartbreaking reading it. But they got the point.

Anyways, please accept a big virtual hug from someone who has been in your position. Be strong and try to get a doctor who is more understanding. Xxxxx
  • tazzy_956
    tazzy_956 Member Posts: 15 Listener
    @bekindalways
    I agree with everything you said and I didn't know you could write anecdotal evidence for your PIP claim. I guess me and my sister could write both our perspectives on paper and send it. I've asked my counselor to provide evidence as she is the only professional I have confided in about everything and that was just the tip of the iceberg. Your post has helped me to consider telling other professionals about my life and mental illness, even though it is scary. Thank you for your kindness and courage, I don't think I could disclose and do what you did. I admire you!
    Thank you for the post, it really helped :) 
  • bekindalways
    bekindalways Member Posts: 134 Courageous
    Hello @tazzy_956.  Thank you so much for those kind words. I hope that you're feeling better in yourself and trying to enjoy the run up to Christmas. 

Also, please don't be afraid of talking to those who can help and advise with your condition. I've only met kindness and understanding and I hope you do too. I agree wholeheartedly that it's so scary because I was petrified. It eases though when you can acquire a stable situation where you see the same person at your appts. It'll give you some stability over your emotions and fear.

Take good care of yourself and stay safe. ❤ 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.