PIP mention in autumn budget 2021 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP mention in autumn budget 2021

apple85
apple85 Community member Posts: 372 Pioneering
So it sounds like very short term pip awards are now a possibility 

To me (and those in the know please correct me if I’m wrong) this sounds like opening the door to further/more regular stressful assessment periods for the disabled - equalling yet another middle finger by the delightful tories

i wish that an official diagnosis (with paperwork) would be enough for these people - the dwp ignoring the facts and trying to say many aren’t actually disabled is getting a tad old

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    It's a green paper, even if it sees the full light of day it could be well into 2023 until it becomes law, I watched the budget from start to finish and didn't hear any mention of benefits, other than the positive change to the UC which will come into force by 1st December this year, making working families in some cases better off by £1200 or £1800 a year, which will more than make up for the removal of the uplift.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• apple85
    apple85 Community member Posts: 372 Pioneering
    I appreciate what you are trying to say woodbine - the snipit that I attached from the budget document I was referring to how the disabled in the uk either get nothing from a budget best case or their lives made more difficult 

you are referring to working families when talking about positive change - I’m not denying that some working parents do have disabilities but a good chunk of the disabled have no partner/children and are unable to work no fault of their own and there is nothing in this budget that could be perceived as positive for that specific group of people.

the budget doc is over 200 pages long so Sunak would of never been able to cover it all and common sense wise he picked the ‘positive’ parts to highlight in his speech and leave the not so pleasant pieces in the long doc that next to no one will read through

reading through the paragraph I posted these sound like the first 2 changes put forward from the green paper doc suggesting more to come (though that’s off topic and theory for now) - I think all the budget votes happen in the next fortnight

point that I was trying to make was that if this change happened it would lead to more assessments for the disabled and more stress/anxiety when the dwp know very well the ill effects on disabled claimants mental health these constant assessments have 
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering

I love the way governments always use phrases like "targeting those most in need"

That always means they're going to make it harder to get whilst also inferring that there are many who shouldn't be getting it at all.

Leaving a lot of people resentful of anyone on disability benefits.

Disabled people get thrown under a bus everytime.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    I have to say as i'm sure we all know that assessments lead times have lengthened over the last 18 months and show no signs of changing, we have to deal with what is in the here and now and not what might be in the future.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Username_removed said:..Sunak presented it as £500 and let people assume it was pcm before anyone realised they’d been done over.
    I thought that. With UC being a monthly based benefit it was very sneaky to present it this way.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.