Is a needs assessment suitable for a autistic person? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is a needs assessment suitable for a autistic person?

Options
Zackio
Zackio Community member Posts: 2 Connected
edited October 2021 in Autism and neurodiversity
I am autistic with ADHD and MCAS. Psychologist and OT told me I should look into getting extra help with daily living stuff and apply for PIP but because of executive dysfunction, brain fog and trouble with communication, it’s hard to work out what exactly I should do and who to contact,  I have read about a needs assessment but I don’t know if this is suitable? I am also having to look after sick wife so very overwhelmed coping with things I don’t normally have to. I would like to have someone to help me work through it all, like a support person to pay to help me navigate it all.
Tagged:

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Zackio :) Welcome to the community!

A needs assessment from your local authority could be helpful in seeing what kind of help at home you could benefit from accessing. I'm sorry to hear that your wife is unwell- does she have any carers or do you take on all of the caring responsibility? If you decide you'd like to see if you're eligible for a needs assessment, you can use this NHS page to get started on a self-referral. 

In terms of having someone help you navigate the benefits system, you can see what expert advice is available in your area by looking on the advicelocal.uk website.

If you'd like to get apply for PIP, you might like to start by reading this page on the Turn2Us website, which I think explains it quite clearly. Of course, you can come back to us with any questions you may have if you need :)  

If you find it easier to speak on the phone, you're also welcome to contact our friendly helpline team on 0808 800 3333, and they'd be happy to chat it through with you. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Zackio
    Zackio Community member Posts: 2 Connected
    Options
    Thank you @Tori_Scope she doesn’t have carers, she’s been unwell for 6 weeks but we don’t know yet what’s wrong or how long she will be sick for because we are trying to find a pain med that will help. But she normally does carer things for me. Looking after her is using all my spoons (energy). I am mot well enough to be a full time carer as I need help myself.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I see @Zackio. Well it does sound as though you could both do with some additional support at home, so I don't think there's any harm in getting in touch with your local authority's adult social care department and requesting a needs assessment. Each local authority works slightly differently, but there's usually some sort of online form to complete. Would you be able to take a look and see if you can find out what you need to do, as a first step? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness