Hi, my name is eilishandliam! Does the money we have from DLA count as ours? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is eilishandliam! Does the money we have from DLA count as ours?

eilishandliam
eilishandliam Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited October 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi
we are working parents with 3 children in receipt of high rate DLA (care and mobility). While we have been working we have always seen these benefits as “their” money and apart from using the motability scheme for a WAV and car have tried to save as much as possible for their future needs.

Recently we have found life a little more difficult and are considering working less or perhaps stop to focus on being carers. Does the money we have saved from their DLA count as “ours” ( significantly more than £16k) as far as benefits are concerned? We never set up a separate bank account or anything for the DLA.

Thanks for any help or pointers where we can check this out.
Tagged:

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @eilishandliam

Welcome to the forum, it's lovely to see you join us and I hope you enjoy being a part of the community.

Sorry to hear you haven't been able to receive an answer yet, I just wanted to let you know that I have moved your discussion over to our DLA category and slightly altered the title so that others know what your question is.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,909 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,
    As the money is in a bank account in your name then it will your money. This means you won't be able to any means tested benefits such as Universal Credit. Do you currently claim tax credits?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • eilishandliam
    eilishandliam Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi

Thanks for the comments. We do get some tax credits, the disability part but reduced due to our combined earnings.

I think we have always just felt it was their money and if it is considered ours which stops us getting benefits if we stop work because of our caring responsibilities that this is a bit unfair. 

In the end being unpaid carers is not some sort of lifestyle choice and saves the government money in so many other ways.

Thanks again.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.