Point System — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Point System

Dragonslayer
Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
I'm not too sure how the point system works on here, can anyone explain it please so I can understand. 

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I think you get points when you earn badges or someone “reacts” to your post using the buttons.

I personally don’t worry about it too much, I think you need 25 points to send private messages but apart from that everyone has equal permissions on the forum regardless of their points
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    As @66Mustang says, you will receive points for things like earning badges or message reactions. Posting will also enable you to receive more points.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,524 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    Basically the more threads you start, the more post you make, the more likes etc you receive, the longer you have been on the forum, all get you more points. But it's not something to concern anyone really as the main one is posting enough to be able to private message other members, should you wish to do so.
    ETA I 've just checked and I have 4026 points after being a member for three years and making 5387 pots.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,367 Disability Gamechanger
    Does it really matter what the points are for? I've been a member here for 4 years and only just noticed them to be honest.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Teddybear12 - there's an explanation about points in the 'Community guidelines' at the top of the page: https://www.scope.org.uk/online-community-guidelines/    It says:

'Liking posts

You can use 'Insightful', ‘Like’ and ‘Awesome’ to express your agreement or show appreciation for a post. The poster will receive 1 community point for each positive reaction.

Badges and ranks

As a community user, you can earn badges for:

• making comments
    • being on the community for a year or more
    • receiving positive reactions
    • contributing in a positive way

Badges and ranks are a fun way of showing how much members contribute to the community.

Once you reach 25 points, you can send private messages.

You can view your current rank, points and badges on your profile page.'

I know I was under the illusion that you had to make 25 posts, rather than gain 25 points before you can send a private message, but I remember Tori checking this for me whilst the Community guidelines were unavailable a few months ago. I'm sorry if this is too general for you, but hoped it might explain a little.

Ross may have liked woodbine's post because he'd done his best to explain, &/or because of the number of points & posts he'd made. I'm sure no discourtesy to yourself was intended.

I think this perhaps highlights that, where gaining points, & then being able to send a PM (after getting 25 points) may encourage new members to join in, such points from 'likes,' etc., may then be seen as problematic. The points system, I feel, was meant to be positive, & as the link above mentions, together with badges, was just meant to be 'a fun way of showing how much members contribute to the community.'

• Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    I'm only interested in points when they get me a free coffee etc.

So if ever scope start handing out cookies for points....I'll kick off about them :D

• Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    I'm not too sure how the point system works on here, can anyone explain it please so I can understand. 
    I think its a bit like trying to explain the offside rule...

But more importantly...it really doesn't matter...they can't be redeemed for anything... :)
  • woodbine
    @Ross_Scope Your lack of courtesy in replying to my post when you have liked woodbines does you no credit. One thing I know 100% is what I am going to do about it. Very disappointed.
    I'm sorry you feel that way, I didn't see any lack of courtesy in @Ross_Scope post, nor anything to disappointed in, and I assume Ross is perfectly capable of deciding who's post to like or not.
    I've never considered the scope points system an issue if i'm honest.

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,831 Disability Gamechanger
    @Cress im with you at coffee points lol
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team
    Hi @Teddybear12, I'm certain Ross meant no offence. Your question came in right before his shift ended and I imagine his liking of @Woodbine's post was essentially meant to 'thank' Woodbine and agree he was correct, not a slight on you. 

I've hopefully answered your query in full below:

The point system gives us the flexibility to:
    • promote good content (we don't actively use this option)
    • grant member abilities
    • help automate moderation
    The point system helps prevent spam, which is why a new user is only granted the ability to begin private messaging at 25 points (by which time it's usually a good indicator of whether a member is a genuine user or not). 

Aside from private messaging, the only difference points make is linked to user ranks:
    Level 1 - Listener (0-24 points)
    Level 2 - Connected (25-49 points)
    Level 3 - Courageous (50-99 points)
    Level 4 - Pioneering (100-999 points)
    Level 5 - Disability Gamechanger (1000+ points)

In terms of earning points, you're awarded these via the reaction buttons and being awarded badges.

Reactions:
    Insightful button: gives 5 points to the user.
    Like button: gives 1 point to the user.
    Awesome button: gives 1 point to the user.

Badges:
    There are too many to list them all, but the majority of badges award a member 5 points. I've posted a few examples below:

First comment badge: worth 10 points
    First discussion badge: awards 5 points
    5 discussions badge: awards 5 points
    10 discussions badge: awards 5 points
    The 25, 50, 100, 250 and the 500 discussions badges also continue to award points.

The majority of the badges award 5 points with the occasional exception such as '50,000 comments', which awards 20 points. 

It should be noted that once the community re-theme reaches a point we're happy with and we have a full team of staff, the badges, reactions, and point system are next on our list to be reviewed.

Community Manager
    Scope
  • Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    Thanks to all for the replies. I just wanted to know what they were for.
    @Adrian_Scope Thanks for the full explanation. 

• woodbine
    @Adrian_Scope thank you for your very detailed explanation.

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @Teddybear12 doesn't realy matter about points and badges doesn't realy do any thing pleases reconsider your decision tske time out and re think you like being on here dilly to just give up now here if you need to chat 

Brightness