A degree with UC LCWRA and PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

A degree with UC LCWRA and PIP?

ruri
ruri Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Good Morning,
I was wondering if someone could advise me?
Is it possible to study and get student finance for fees when you are on LCWRA and PIP? I am unable to work due to mental health disabilities.
Thank you.

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ruri

how are you?

Thank you for your question, PIP isn't impacted by study so you should continue to receive it. I am uncertain about how your UC would be impacted, however I did find this information on the Disability Rights UK website, where they have a student FAQ section:

Most full-time students are not eligible for Universal Credit. However, there are some exceptions to this rule.

You can claim Universal Credit if you are receiving education and:

• are in non-advanced education, are under the age of 21 (or are 21 and reached that age while undertaking the course) and have no parental support;
    • are responsible for a child or ‘qualifying young person’;
    • are a single foster parent;
    • are one of a couple, your partner is also a student and they are responsible for a child or qualifying young person (including as a foster parent);
    • are over pension age and have a partner who has not reached that age;
    • are waiting to return to your course after taking time out because of illness or caring responsibilities; or
    • have a partner who is not a student (or who is able to claim Universal Credit as a student themselves).
    • are entitled to attendance allowance, disability living allowance or personal independence payment and you have a “limited capability for work”.
    If you have not already been assessed as having a “limited capability for work”, the DWP will refuse your Universal Credit claim. You should claim New Style (contributory) ESA on a ‘credits-only’ basis to have your limited capability for work assessed.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • ruri
    ruri Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi Ross_Scope,

Thank you for your reply - very helpful.

I probably didn't explain well enough but I have already been assessed and awarded Universal Credit LCWWRA element and also awarded PIP.  I was wondering if I would be able to study for a degree and if so still be in receipt of disability benefits.

Thanks 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    Yes you would be able to do this but if the reasons why you're studying contradicts the reasons why you're claiming LCWRA then you could be reassessed early and the decision could go against you.
    Also any student maintenence loan available to you will affect your UC and reduce it, even if you decide not to take that loan.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Del1149
    Del1149 Community member Posts: 12 Connected
    I was going to ask a similar question, I am considering enrolling on a course, 2 days a week, which is classed as a full time course. I am in receipt of lcwra and pip....would it affect my payments and would they call me for a  review to reassess my lcwra and pip?

Thanks
  • poppy123456
    Del1149 said:
    I was going to ask a similar question, I am considering enrolling on a course, 2 days a week, which is classed as a full time course. I am in receipt of lcwra and pip....would it affect my payments and would they call me for a  review to reassess my lcwra and pip?

Thanks
    The same advice applies to you as what I advised here.
    Hi,
    Yes you would be able to do this but if the reasons why you're studying contradicts the reasons why you're claiming LCWRA then you could be reassessed early and the decision could go against you.
    Also any student maintenence loan available to you will affect your UC and reduce it, even if you decide not to take that loan.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Kalps
    Kalps Community member Posts: 72 Pioneering
    I was thinking of going back to studying. I also get U.C LCWRA & PIP. 
    Kind Regards,

Kal
  • poppy123456
    Kalps said:
    I was thinking of going back to studying. I also get U.C LCWRA & PIP. 

I answered your questions on another thread not long ago. You can see all my advice and your questions here. https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/comment/722100#Comment_722100

• Kalps
    Kalps Community member Posts: 72 Pioneering
    @Poppy. Yes I know you did and thankyou so much for the info provided. I've still not decided as yet. 😊😊🙏🏽
    Kind Regards,

Kal

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.