A degree with UC LCWRA and PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

A degree with UC LCWRA and PIP?

ruri Member Posts: 4 Listener
Good Morning,
I was wondering if someone could advise me?
Is it possible to study and get student finance for fees when you are on LCWRA and PIP? I am unable to work due to mental health disabilities.
Thank you.


  • Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 5,377

    Scope community team

    Hi @ruri

    how are you?

    Thank you for your question, PIP isn't impacted by study so you should continue to receive it. I am uncertain about how your UC would be impacted, however I did find this information on the Disability Rights UK website, where they have a student FAQ section:

    Most full-time students are not eligible for Universal Credit. However, there are some exceptions to this rule.

    You can claim Universal Credit if you are receiving education and:

    • are in non-advanced education, are under the age of 21 (or are 21 and reached that age while undertaking the course) and have no parental support;
    • are responsible for a child or ‘qualifying young person’;
    • are a single foster parent;
    • are one of a couple, your partner is also a student and they are responsible for a child or qualifying young person (including as a foster parent);
    • are over pension age and have a partner who has not reached that age;
    • are waiting to return to your course after taking time out because of illness or caring responsibilities; or
    • have a partner who is not a student (or who is able to claim Universal Credit as a student themselves).
    • are entitled to attendance allowance, disability living allowance or personal independence payment and you have a “limited capability for work”.
    If you have not already been assessed as having a “limited capability for work”, the DWP will refuse your Universal Credit claim. You should claim New Style (contributory) ESA on a ‘credits-only’ basis to have your limited capability for work assessed.
    Online Community Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • ruri
    ruri Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi Ross_Scope,

    Thank you for your reply - very helpful.

    I probably didn't explain well enough but I have already been assessed and awarded Universal Credit LCWWRA element and also awarded PIP.  I was wondering if I would be able to study for a degree and if so still be in receipt of disability benefits.

  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,650 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes you would be able to do this but if the reasons why you're studying contradicts the reasons why you're claiming LCWRA then you could be reassessed early and the decision could go against you.
    Also any student maintenence loan available to you will affect your UC and reduce it, even if you decide not to take that loan.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.