New. Are there any support groups for people with bipolar disorder? Anyone got PIP for it? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New. Are there any support groups for people with bipolar disorder? Anyone got PIP for it?

ducky75
ducky75 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited November 2021 in Mental health and wellbeing
Hello I joined just tonight. Bipolar. pip got refused over a phone assessment during covid. Housing can’t be bothered with dealing with issues. Nhs can’t help really. Just looking for support groups who deal,who know exactly the issues any disability creates is not a points system ruled by unqualified people who play god with people. The form or phone isn’t designed with neuro diversity  or mental health. Definitely a blaise attitude towards trauma. Like to know if anyone got the help they asked for?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,328 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    Lots of people successfully claim PIP because of mental health reasons and the way it affects them. 
    Unfortunately, there are also some people who have a health condition that don’t qualify for PIP because if you don’t fit the descriptors you won’t score the points needed for an award.
    Its worth remembering that PIP isn’t awarded based on any diagnosis, it’s how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors.
    Did you challenge the decision when you were refused? If you didn’t, was there any reason why? May I ask when the decision was made on that claim? 
    As far as help and support for a PIP claim then start here https://advicelocal.uk/
    You can also refer yourself for a needs assessment from your local authority. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/help-from-social-services-and-charities/getting-a-needs-assessment/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ducky75 - & welcome to the community. You raise similar issues to some of our members, unfortunately. For some, the PIP claim form & assessment are misunderstood, but, as Poppy says, most people do claim PIP successfully.
    Those that do the assessments are not unqualified people, rather nurses mainly, with some physios & paramedics. I agree, that for some with certain mental health issues, or who are neurodiverse, a telephone assessment can be very difficult indeed.
    There is help available out there, but some takes an awfully long time to be implemented.
    Please look into the links Poppy has given, & for now, answer her questions. If we know when you got a decision about PIP, etc., we have members such as Poppy who can help you further. This is a very supportive community, & our members will do their utmost to help, or point you in the right direction.
  • ducky75
    I have understand that it the points are awarded on how your condition effects you on a day to day basis 
    . But it's the presumption if you doing fit into the stereotype then your ok. It its affected my life viarably. The classic one is you made it to assessment so you cant be that socially anxious or the fear if being attacked can't be that bad. Or your not having therapy so it's not an issue. You guys are seriously helpful I will send you the decision letter and the one that was very dismissive about my symptoms of ptsd. I will also send the letter about how the trauma therapy unit treated me as well.msin reason why its crisis time now.  I'm not looking for more money just the way it's dealt with and how people fall through the cracks needs changing .i can't even get sectioned. I'm fine. Gp is going to talk to me Monday. Thanks for replying do quickly I'm not invisible and in my own as usual. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,328 Disability Gamechanger
    Some of the reasons they give are classic copy and paste that they often repeat with many people. If you post anything here on the community you must make sure that all of your personal details are covered or removed, to protect you. This is an open forum, where anyone can see your information. It is against the rules of the community to post such information.
    It's not clear whether you were refused, or whether you were awarded and not totally happy with the decision, can you please confirm which one it is?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @ducky75 :) I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get the PIP result you were hoping for. Many people end up feeling the same way as you do after their assessment, so you're certainly not alone. 
     will also send the letter about how the trauma therapy unit treated me as well.msin reason why its crisis time now.
    I'm a little concerned that you seem to have mentioned here that you're in crisis at the moment- is that right? Would you be able to tell us a little more about that? 

Are you receiving any support to help you manage your bipolar disorder? I'm glad to hear that you're going to speak to your GP on Monday. I hope that they're able to point you in the right direction. Have they been helpful in the past?
    Just looking for support groups
    Are you looking for general support groups for people with bipolar disorder, or are you looking for ones for people who've been through a similar experience with PIP? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi again @ducky75 - there's this support group: https://www.bipolaruk.org/

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ducky75

Welcome to the community from me too :) 

How are you getting on? How did the chat with your GP go? 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • ducky75
    I had a blip. My cousin is helping me. I immediately sought help within days the g.p and the crisis team. So everything is in place. Thanks for helping me too it's essential website .
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm glad to hear that you had support from your cousin @ducky75, and that tings are being put in place. Please keep us updated on how you get on :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness