Unfair face to face — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Unfair face to face

Steve_10
Steve_10 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hello all I am registerd as partially sighted, wear two hearing aids and use a stick for support outside after having two keyhole surgery's on one knee.   I was receiving pip a few years ago, I got called in as did many others and  reassessed, the so called professional ignored all previous letters from professionals saying it would all be on my records.  
Anyway she concluded that by some miracle, I was cured and my glasses sorted my nystagmus, my hearing aids heald my hearing as I could hear her in a room with not fans or external noises.
And as I was able to sit on the bed there was no problem with my knee,  (first appointment travelled in with wife by car) so I had not even used my legs much that day.    Anyway I appealed but got turned down, they upheld her decision as they would.   I am not much for confrontation so did not want to go to court.
Anyway we have all heard that lots of cases were to.be looked at again, but still.I have heard nothing.
Is there somewhere I can raise my hand and say over here, I have not moved or changed my contact details.
Thanks in advance.
Steve...

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

The cases that are being looked at are due to a change in law relating to one mobility descriptors only relating to planning and undertaking a journey affecting those who mainly have mental health conditions 

So from what you have said I doubt you will be contacted 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Steve_10 said:
     the so called professional ignored all previous letters from professionals saying it would all be on my records.  

They very rarely contact anyone for any evidence and they definitely wouldn't look at your medical records.
    The descriptors that they are looking at are social support, which comes under daily living. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-changes/social-support-changes-to-pip-law-from-6-april-2016
    Whether they will look at your claim again will depend on when the decision was made on your claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    @Steve_10 hi and welcome to scope, I assume you did an MR which was unsuccessful? (around half are by the way) and didn't want to appeal?
    AFAIK they are looking at existing awards to see if they were correct, someone will say if i'm wrong in that.
    There is of course nothing to stop you from applying for PIP again, but keep in mind PIP is about how your problems affect your daily living/mobility not what illnesses/conditions you have.
    The HCP probably did what they are paid to do and give their opinion as they saw it, maybe next time you will succeed?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Barukh
    Barukh Community member Posts: 59 Courageous
    Here is a link to the Citizens Advice Website listing all the Organisations that help with
    Welfare and Benefits including situations like yours.

https://www.mind.org.uk/news-campaigns/campaigns/benefits/where-you-can-find-help/

I hope you find the help you are looking for.
  • Steve_10
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello to new claimants or people being reviewed. It’s the claimants responsibility to give or send all the evidence and supporting information for your PIP assessment or reassessment. Expecting the DWP and the assessment company to have your past medical records and relevant information from previous assessments is wishful thinking. Keep a folder of all evidence and supporting information for future use adding to it when new updates are made or noted.
  • Steve_10
    I would agree, but it is the assessors job to read it, also extra was supplied to when I wanted a re-check.

Thank you all for your various support, I think.I will now just apply again using some of the information I have gained from.you as support. X
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    If you reapply when you fill out the form you should add a couple of real world examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. Include information such as where you were, what exactly happened, did anyone see it and what the consequences were.
    If you send the same evidence you previously sent then another refusal is likely.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Steve_10
    Thank you, I will take that on board.   Just paid out a lot of cash to buy some better heating aids than those available through NHS. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.