Finally have my own flat — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Finally have my own flat

rubin16
rubin16 Community member Posts: 348 Pioneering
I have waited for a property for years, and today went for an interview with my nurse to be put on the waiting list for supported accomodation in my area. I thought I would be waiting another few years but they said they have a flat and would like to offer it me.

The flat is having work on it and they said it should be ready in 2 weeks, then I can go and view it and decide if I want it or not, but to be honest I'm desperate so will take anything so unless its a dump I will take it regardless. Once I get it and move in I will get a key worker who will go shopping with me and make sure I'm okay.

I'm so excited, and thrilled I'm nervous at the fact of moving and living on my own. But can't wait to finally get some independence and start a new chapter in my life. The only thing I have to worry about is bills everything else is funded and it comes fully furnished apart from a TV.

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @rubin16

Thanks for sharing your good news with us. Always uplifts us when we hear good news. Congratulations and good luck  :D
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Reg
    Reg Community member Posts: 109 Pioneering
    That is brilliant news @rubin16.

Hope it works out for you 
    Reg

I am a Scope volunteer.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    That's fantastic @rubin16 :) I hope that the flat is in good condition! 

If you want some advice on energy and water bills, you can always contact our Disability Energy Support service. They're a really friendly team, and can offer a wide range of advice and support. I've attached their flyer to this comment. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,765 Disability Gamechanger
    Congrats on getting new home
  • Tori_Scope
    That's fantastic @rubin16 :) I hope that the flat is in good condition! 

If you want some advice on energy and water bills, you can always contact our Disability Energy Support service. They're a really friendly team, and can offer a wide range of advice and support. 

disability energy support service flyer to read about the service follow the link posted above

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Great news hope you will be happy in your new home 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    @rubin16 thats great news and I hope it goes well for you, please let us know how you get on won't you ?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• easy
    easy Scope Member Posts: 670 Pioneering
    What wonderful news, I am sure you will be very happy there.
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    @rubin16 congratulations, that's great news 
  • piscean
    piscean Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    So very happy for you. Good luck in your new home. You will be ok. Nothing ventured nothing gained!
  • rubin16
    Update: My nurse just phoned me and said that I have been given the funding from the local authority so I can go view the flat tomorrow, and if I like it and everything I can move in next week.

I feel so anxious but excited now, I'm nervous to move but can't wait to have my own space and my own home. I've never lived on my own before and its about time I moved from my parents as I'm 30 now so getting old.
  • Tori_Scope
    That's exciting news @rubin16 :) It's normal to feel nervous about moving away and living on your own, so it's important that you try and take it one step at a time and look after yourself throughout. 

Is there any part of it in particular that's making you feel anxious?

• rubin16
    Thanks for your reply, I feel anxious about moving all my stuff there, tranferring my internet and setting up bills and things. And I'm not good with changes and this is a big change which is making me feel abit anxious, but I know its a good thing.

I feel really mixed in emotions this morning on one side i'm very excited and can't wait to move and on the other I'm really anxious and scared. I think I'll feel better tomorrow when I go and view it as then I'll know what stuff I need to buy like bedding, kitchen stuff and things to get me started.
  • Tori_Scope
    Hi @rubin16 :)

Once you know where you'll be moving, you can check whether your current internet service provider operates in that area. This can be a good starting place for working out your next steps.You may find this page on uSwitch's website helpful.

Do you have much mobile data?

As for other bills, did you ever check out our Disability Energy Support service? They may be able to help you work out what to do.

comparethemarket also have a useful page on setting up gas and electric for the first time

Will you be able to get any support with setting up your bills?

Yes, I'm sure you'll feel a bit better once you've seen the place and got a feel for it. I hope the viewing goes well! Let us know how you get on.

• Tori_Scope
    How was the viewing @rubin16?

• rubin16
    Hi, it went really well I love the flat and going for it, so I have a provisional move in date for next week on Thursday. It just needs some minor things doing, like installing new blinds and touch ups.

I can't wait now and I get everything provided like bedding, kitchen stuff, a hover and its fully furnished the only thing it doesn't have is a TV. and its in a really nice area close to shops and at the back of the street so its private and quiet.

I'm really excited now to just move in and get settled, I will get 12 hours a week support from a care worker too who will take me out shopping, and take me to places or something to eat out.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Really pleased for you that the flat seems just right @rubin16 - & getting moved in time for Christmas. :)
  • rubin16
    My nurse phoned me this morning thats it all confirmed for me moving in tomorrow, So I pick up the keys and do the paper work tomorrow morning then the flat is mine. I'm really excited I can't wait to have my own place and be able to decorate it and put my own stamp on it.

The only downside is I have put a move house request on my internet and the go live date isn't till the 24th so I'll be without internet for a week, which may not seem bad but for someone who liiterally lives on the internet I'm going to be so fed up and bored as I hate normal TV. But going forward its still worth it and I'm looking forward to the future now.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    @rubin16 brilliant news, good luck in your new home, just in time for Christmas.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm very glad to hear @rubin16 you must be so excited! Being without the internet for a while will be a challenge for sure, but it's only temporary and I'm sure will be worth the wait.

Perhaps you could occupy yourself with books, if you like reading? Or maybe crafts, or games? What's something you've always wanted to try but haven't had the time to? :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness