PIP, feeling anxious — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP, feeling anxious

emilia_k
emilia_k Community member Posts: 1 Listener
hello all,
i’ve been searching for a support group/forum for a while since the fb group i was part of got shut down. 

a small back story of it all;
i only claim PIP, i started my claim in july 2018, had to wait due to complications of moving back and fourth and won it from tribunal 2020 august. 

i was only 18 in 2018 and i had no idea about most things and i was struggling really badly with my new diagnosis of BPD/EUPD, psychosis, (possible) ptsd and anxiety. i didn’t turn to help at the time (citizens advice) as i was too anxious to talk to anyone. my ex boyfriend had written the appeal whom was in the end extremely abusive towards me after we moved in together in sept 2018. i moved back home sept 2019. 

so here’s the problem... i was only awarded from august 2018 till dec 2021, they contacted me in july to put a claim in as it would be ending this year. my problem is that because of the whole fiasco with my ex, i was left with a lot of psychological issues worse than before. i’m agoraphobic. i’ve not left my house since i moved back home. i can’t even make a trip to my local store which is 5 mins away. so therefore i haven’t even switched GPs since moving back. 

when i had my phone assessment i was constantly being asked about my gp and that since she was worried for my mental health she has to contact my gp... i told her over and over that i can’t get myself another gp. my step dad doesn’t really understand the situation as he can’t accept i have mental health issues. so i have no home support. so i don’t have any new evidence since i have not been under any care since 2019. i called up PIP about not having access to my old documents and they told me to write on the form to refer back to my already given evidence - which i have. but the nurse i spoke to for my assessment didn’t seem to have them.

since everything went wrong the first time, im extremely anxious that this time it’ll be the same except i can’t mail my appeal... what do i do? i have received the letter that i don’t need to contact them again. any advice will help, thank you

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    When you ring PIP/DWP you actually speak to someone from a call centre and not someone from DWP itself. They have very little, if any benefits knowledge so they're not really the people to speak to for any such advice.
    The assessment provider wouldn't have had access to any previous evidence you sent. Medical evidence is only useful if it states exactly how your conditions affect you and most doesn't. The best evidence you can ever send will be your own anecdotal evidence, a couple of real world examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.
    As you've already had the assessment, it maybe too late to send anything else now because it could take several weeks to get to them but there's no harm in trying.
    Other than that all you can do is wait for the decision and if you're not happy request the MR. Lots of people are awarded successfully, without any problems. I know you have a bad experience the first time but it doesn't mean the same thing will happen again.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    When you ring PIP/DWP you actually speak to someone from a call centre and not someone from DWP itself. 
    Interesting item today Motion tabled supporting PCS calls for 'in-housing' services in DWP | Public and Commercial Services Union
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    I’m unsure whether to laugh or cry at the idea 450 DWP staff were brought over to a private company to help them provide a service for which they’re contracted by DWP because DWP didn’t have enough staff to provide telephony in the first place. 
    Crying is definitely the appropriate response in my opinion. Can only hope that DWP are getting reimbursed for this - but I fear not. Also begs the question of what other DWP activity is being disrupted as a result of the redeployment of those staff.
    Crying also seems appropriate in response to an item I read elsewhere that when DWP report average waiting times no account is taken of calls that are abandoned by the caller before they get through (of which we know there are many).

Apologies to OP for going off topic.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.