Severe disability premium confused — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Severe disability premium confused

Options
misstracey
misstracey Community member Posts: 85 Pioneering
Hello everybody i receive pip both enhanced  my daughter now looks after me i live with my 28 yr old son recently put in for carers and awaiting reply i had a letter off dwp saying my esa could be effected i rang spoke to a someone to see he told me  no it wouldnt as i receive enhanced disability then told me that i could get severe disability  as long as not got carers i told him daughter put in for carers he then said there is a few months outstanding where i can put in for severe disability backpay i said i thought you had to live alone he said not necessarily  he then said we can do it now so i did and he said its sent to the relevant people bit confused  but see how it goes and let you know 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,038 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    For you to be able to claim the severe disability premium because you live with your son then he would also need to be claiming either PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care. If he doesn't claim either of those then you won't be entitled to the SDP.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • misstracey
    Options
    that what i thought poppy123456  but only because he said that  to me i wondered thanxs
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,038 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When a decision maker looks at the claim and the information you gave they will know that you're not entitled, i assume when you gave the information on the phone you told them your son lives with you.
    When ringing DWP you are ringing a call centre, who are not trained to give benefits advice.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • misstracey
    Options
    yes poppy123456 i told them i thought i could not claim it because my son lives with me he said not necessarily so thats when i was confused then so he said you can apply for it now so i did  thanxs x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.